Tyre Advice..!!!

pjmccree
pjmccree Posts: 4
edited July 2016 in Road beginners
Hi All, I've just converted to road from MTB Downhill and Enduro thanks to a spot on spinal surgery. I have bought the BTwin Triban 540 II from Decathlon as per Bikeradar's rave review for it's class for the price. Enjoying the hell out of it at the moment and as a part of my first ride I battled the road section from Fuengirola to Alhurin el Grande (close to Marbella), which is 15km over a 622m elevation climb, non-stop....not bad for a 50 year old!

I am by no means an expert, but everything appears to be working perfectly straight out of the box. The gearing is smooth, it changes direct very quickly and the geometry suits my weight and height. The brakes are stunning on some of the scary downhill road sections here in Spain but as per the review, the Equinox II tyres are awful and extremely painful on the nether regions if you hit rough tarmac. Also there is a lot of vibration travel through the bars causing finger numbness.

The frame and forks are large enough to accommodate a 28mm tyre, so could someone please recommend a decent brand that offers both comfort and grip. I am not so worried about minor speed loss as I am more interested in long distance endurance, as comfort is my goal!

I would sincerely appreciate any advice from any seasoned road riders out there?

Many thanks,
Phil :D

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,433
    gp4000sii are available in 28

compound gives good grip, reasonable puncture protection, supple enough for comfort at lower pressures

i use 23mm on my commute bike in london, they get some surface cuts in the wet but the rubber is pretty thick so punctures are rare (touch wood)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    My next set of tyres are going to be Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 25 or 28, have had a great time on the 25c Service Course (commuting and racing).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-e ... -700-x-28/
  • pjmccree
    sungod wrote:
    gp4000sii are available in 28

compound gives good grip, reasonable puncture protection, supple enough for comfort at lower pressures

i use 23mm on my commute bike in london, they get some surface cuts in the wet but the rubber is pretty thick so punctures are rare (touch wood)

Thank you Sungod, appreciate the fast response..!!!
  • pjmccree
    iPete wrote:
    My next set of tyres are going to be Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 25 or 28, have had a great time on the 25c Service Course (commuting and racing).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-e ... -700-x-28/

Thank you iPete, also appreciate your fast response. I have been looking at the Michelins, they are reasonably priced here too. I was also advised that latex tubes are fairly beneficial as well! Cheers.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I've just switched to the pro4 endurance and they are excellent, running 25mm.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 for the GPS4000s

Been using them for years and I'd not swap.
  • mostly wrote:
    I've just switched to the pro4 endurance and they are excellent, running 25mm.

What he said, these have completely transformed the feel, comfort & handling of my bike. The 25s are a bit oversize & come up closer to 27s.
  • iPete
    I'm looking to go 25c > 28c on a new Winter fixie build but the frame states clearance for 28c. Does anyone know if the Michelin 28c are bigger, like the 25 are? I'll do the sensible thing and load the bike with 25c first and check but curious as I'm still plotting what gearing to choose.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    +1 Pro4
  • iPete wrote:
    I'm looking to go 25c > 28c on a new Winter fixie build but the frame states clearance for 28c. Does anyone know if the Michelin 28c are bigger, like the 25 are? I'll do the sensible thing and load the bike with 25c first and check but curious as I'm still plotting what gearing to choose.

No direct experience of 28s but I have read that they're oversized. Seems to be a trait with Michelins, I use Lithions 23s on my winter bike which are actually 25 according to my handy vernier gauge!
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Phil

I've had a 540 for just over a year; very happy with it, but every day's a school day in this bike malarkey. So I've just read up that my tyres (Equinox) are rubbish and the last Sportive I rode, I could feel the back end sliding on tight corners and at not a great speed.

Now switched to Continental GP4000's which cost very little (in comparison) from Wiggle. Interesting reading Geraint Thomas' book - descending? follow the guy using Continental's.

Strangely my girlfriend said a lot of pro's are switching to 25mm (from 23). I argued that cannot possibly be more efficient.

Only, she's right (dagnabbit); don't know how but look at this

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... weight=399
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Fenix wrote:
    +1 for the GPS4000s

+1, the only tyre for me.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just remember that if you go wider you need to lower the pressure. Don't ride 28s at the same pressure as 23s.
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Had the Conti 4 seasons for about 5 months and in that time had 6 punctures.
    Plus the back tyre was covered in splits - wasnt impressed tbh

Gonna give the Pro4 a go
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    deejaysee wrote:

Gonna give the Pro4 a go
    Sounds more like shit roads to me mate.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    +1 for the GPS4000s

And me
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    +1 for the GPS4000s

And me

Me too! Big fan of the Conti GP4000s
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Bo Duke wrote:
    deejaysee wrote:

Gonna give the Pro4 a go
    Sounds more like shoot roads to me mate.

well unless he moves, then he needs to try a different tire, i doubt the council has the money to resurface the roads.

fwiw i found conti 4 seasons a terrible tire, the pro4 Endurance was far superior in every respect.
  • iPete
    It's all completely anecdotal but I spent years having a bad time with Conti tyres, had less than 1000 miles from a set of GP4000 before giving up. Michelin Pro 4 have been brilliant in comparison. I've no issues commuting on crap roads (aka London) and then racing on them at the weekends (on more crap roads).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Pete, I've read the 25mm Michelins are like conti's they come up bigger, as do the 23's. I'm guessing the 28's will do the same. no practical use as my frames don't even take 25's that well!!!!
  • deejaysee
    deejaysee Posts: 149
    Just bought the Michelin Pro4 and 25's definitely look bigger than conti 25's
    More like 27's
    I like them so far
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    They are. I switched from 25mm GP4S to 25mm Pro4 Endurance and the volume difference was staggering. Also more grip, rolled as well (if not better) and were more comfortable because I could knock another 5-10psi out of the tyres because of the increased volume.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris