"I've done a steaming king size dump and left it for you lot Dave's last dayas PM Wednesday

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,474
edited July 2016 in The bottom bracket
Cheerio Dave, you put party before country and understood a leave vote would be disastrous but still went ahead with the referendum.

a bike ride is called for later which sums up my day :D
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning,

I meant to ride in to work in the nice weather but I have a meeting tomorrow on site and I need to take a load of stuff home in preparation. At least thats what I told myself at 6am this morning...
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Working from home which meant I had some time on the rollers

Now working with the occasional disturbance from the plumbers

Later is a kids concert - can't wait
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    A very quick ride this morning, about 500 yards up the road. A bit of a tweak then another 500 yards again.

Then realised it was 8.30 so hot footed it to the shower to get ready for work.

Does anyone fancy a ride from the Littleborough (I'm not saying Rochdale as I don't live there) on Saturday to the beach?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Cold (for us) and windy. Marginally less unwell than yesterday.

Not a very busy day by any measure. Fiddled with a "retro" MTB fork, which had been stripped and rebuilt by a dyslexic blind man. Now basically fixed and back together, but after all that, it's still only a mahoosive 1.75" travel, undamped bouncy thing. Looks bling though, in a CNC shiny thing kind of way.

Went to physio. Woo-freaking-hoo.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    oxoman wrote:
    Currently sat at home feeling sorry for myself, currently banned off bike by quack and family till stitches taken out and I can use right arm again. Only highlight is TDF.

What happened, come on spill the beans? POIDH

@OP. When it all goes t1ts up, at least they won't be able to blame EU regs.
    Fiddled with a "retro" MTB fork, which had been stripped and rebuilt by a dyslexic blind man.

I cannot abide by that terribly unpolitically correct language.

"Which had been rebuilt by a..tw@t" ?

What did you do to your back? Was it all the years working in the outback after you were deported for stealing rabbits off my land?

Me procrastinating me.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Pinno wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Currently sat at home feeling sorry for myself, currently banned off bike by quack and family till stitches taken out and I can use right arm again. Only highlight is TDF.

What happened, come on spill the beans? POIDH

@OP. When it all goes t1ts up, at least they won't be able to blame EU regs.
    Fiddled with a "retro" MTB fork, which had been stripped and rebuilt by a dyslexic blind man.

I cannot abide by that terribly unpolitically correct language.

"Which had been rebuilt by a..tw@t" ?

What did you do to your back? Was it all the years working in the outback after you were deported for stealing rabbits off my land?

Me procrastinating me.

Laters.

It's "tw@" and I was being entirely reasonable. There were parts put on in the reverse sequence of how they should be, and some things clearly missed altogether...

Much of the back stuff is simply degenerative. Apart from bike riding, I've been a tennis player for almost 50 years, and competed at club competition level in.... golf, hockey, swimming, triathlon, middle/long distance running, squash, basketball, and baseball. Had a crack at plenty of other sports too.

The other factor was a fractured neck vertebra in bike crash a few years back, has caused many of the more recent issues.
  • haydenm

Not a very busy day by any measure. Fiddled with a "retro" MTB fork, which had been stripped and rebuilt by a dyslexic blind man. Now basically fixed and back together, but after all that, it's still only a mahoosive 1.75" travel, undamped bouncy thing. Looks bling though, in a CNC shiny thing kind of way.

By retro do you mean it takes 26" wheels? Or it has 1 1/8th steerer tube? I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike so out of date... :wink:

My back has been terrible recently, when I do my usual chair twist stretch it clicks about 6 times from top to bottom and makes my legs tingle
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    ^ probably needs gluing and screwing. The chair.

We went out on the Swiss 'twins' for the first test ride, didn't go far just a quick trip to the Serengeti, avoiding the lions...

DSC04582.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Wheelspinner
    HaydenM wrote:

By retro do you mean it takes 26" wheels? Or it has 1 1/8th steerer tube? I wouldn't be seen dead on a bike so out of date... :wink:

My back has been terrible recently, when I do my usual chair twist stretch it clicks about 6 times from top to bottom and makes my legs tingle

Yup, both of those things. I've got a few more modern 29'ers too though... 8)

Clicking in the joints is not a bad thing, shows they are at least moving instead of locked solid! Tingles in leg is not such a fun thing however. If that's a repeatable symptom, you should get checked over.
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

Clicking in the joints is not a bad thing, shows they are at least moving instead of locked solid! Tingles in leg is not such a fun thing however. If that's a repeatable symptom, you should get checked over.

As I ride 650b I have to berate you for riding 29ers, as per international law. Terrible choice.

The clicking is very satisfying, the GF hates it. The tingling/pain is annoying, I often get a pain just above my right a*se cheek which used to go away once it clicks but now it doesn't want to click properly. It spreads down my right leg when I can't get it to click. I think it comes from the seats in my car, it's hard to notice it getting drastically worse at any point because I do so many miles for work though, I shouldn't be having these problems at 24...
  • Wheelspinner
    HaydenM wrote:

As I ride 650b I have to berate you for riding 29ers, as per international law. Terrible choice.

The clicking is very satisfying, the GF hates it. The tingling/pain is annoying, I often get a pain just above my right a*se cheek which used to go away once it clicks but now it doesn't want to click properly. It spreads down my right leg when I can't get it to click. I think it comes from the seats in my car, it's hard to notice it getting drastically worse at any point because I do so many miles for work though, I shouldn't be having these problems at 24...

16621524977_bf5e9681c6_k.jpg

I'll take my 9kg total weight 29'er any day thanks... 8)

Sounds like you have sciatic nerve irritation. See a chiropractor or osteopath.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    team47b wrote:
    DSC04582.jpg

Get those hoods up!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    HaydenM wrote:

buy a cx bike next time
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • haydenm
    HaydenM wrote:

That is exceptionally light but it's not enduro enough for me unfortunately...

I think the back pain first started from riding my old bike to work years ago, I'm slightly worried they might tell me I shouldn't ride so much although I would happily have them tell my work to swap my Isuzu with an Amarok for more comfortable seats...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    My 29er weighs considerably more than that, but my cross bike is about that and can handle some off road. But it's nowhere near as comfy and can get a bit scary on really rough stuff. But then I am a big Jessie.
    Afternoon all. Busy morning again today, big order from my customer down under. He was complaining about the cold as well. I did point out that it was about the same as here and I'd ridden to work in shorts and a t shirt.
    Had a very excited call from the boy last night. He'd been testing bits of carbon fibre to destruction. Today the jammy sod has gone to Silverstone for the testing. I'm still more than a bit jealous. Pub later.
  • pinno
    I think that's the first off roader I like the look of.

Get a car with electrically heated seats for you back HaydenM - soooo nice. I loved my SAAB seats when I got a bad back.

@WS. I slipped on a floor backwards and cracked a neck vertebrae playing TT. It has taken me the best part of 5 years of neck exercises and a lot of tinkering with my bike position so as not to exacerbate the problem. The cycling doesn't make it worse but it doesn't alleviate it. As for the rest of you, well after all that you have done, it's bound to be a little creaky.
  • haydenm
    Pinno wrote:

Get a car with electrically heated seats for you back HaydenM - soooo nice. I loved my SAAB seats when I got a bad back.

This is a proper bike:
    12814262_10153802428570659_7391196884672672879_n.jpg?oh=b8294323da882a0494f9aaa1f1543f9c&oe=583677C0

Maybe I'll ask for heated seats when my truck comes comes up for replacement at 100k miles (its on 50k so another 15 months of so). My line manager did mention I could get some sort of extra seat insert thing on expenses if its causing me trouble but I don't really know what to look for. The Amarok is more comfortable than mine, the 2017 one it's meant to have a 3L V6 too which could be exciting so long as it's the same engine across the range...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ciao ragazzi, long time no speak

Well, position sorted following change of shifters (old non aero Dura Ace to new Ultegra, purely for aesthetics as 7 year old D/A is still better) so a bit of a ride into a million miles an hour headwind. Now waiting to go back into work have chomped on some chicken bits.

Ciao for now
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

This is a proper bike:

No it isn't - it's puke green with knobbly tyres.

My Actros had this damn seat on shock absorbers. If you got the height wrong, it made driving a bit iffy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,157
    Pinno wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

This is a proper bike:

No it isn't - it's puke green with knobbly tyres.

My Actros had this damn seat on shock absorbers. If you got the height wrong, it made driving a bit iffy.
    Ohhh yes it is.

Good day today as I had two offsite meetings, one served me a full English brekkie and the other a free lunch :) It beats working for a living. Headed back now to dog sit while the trouble n strife pops out somewhere on an errand. In other good news, Stropteens phone has crashed so she cant rack up the bills out in Bratislava.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    Just got back from a lovely after work ride (on the steel Genesis rather than the puke green monster up there). Somehow managed to shave a minute and a half off a climb where my previous best was 8 minutes 10, I used the hill for reps when I first got the road bike in January and I've not been back that way since. at least it's paying off
  • Stevo_666
    HaydenM wrote:
    Just got back from a lovely after work ride (on the steel Genesis rather than the puke green monster up there). Somehow managed to shave a minute and a half off a climb where my previous best was 8 minutes 10, I used the hill for reps when I first got the road bike in January and I've not been back that way since. at least it's paying off
    I'll see your green monster and raise you:

SteveSpicypicsMay2014018.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Does that price sticker say £3.49? Done well there.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Does that price sticker say £3.49? Done well there.
    Not my garden...
  • haydenm
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    I'll see your green monster and raise you:

SteveSpicypicsMay2014018.jpg

That is a proper monster, nice bikes those. I'm always tempted by a new downhill bike but I still have a 2010 demo that hasn't been ridden in two years lying around. When I used to ride downhill properly I never had the cash for uplifts, now I do, I live near Innerleithen and Ae but the trail biking is better than the downhill... Plus I think I'm faster on the kona than the demo
  • pinno
    'Monster'. Yep. Couldn't be uglier.
  • pinno
    Talking of monsters, this is Toots 2. In the wrong bed and crashed with her 'laptop' on her head:

c8c6a866022bb26dfa18b71ea1d4503f.jpg
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    'Monster'. Yep. Couldn't be uglier.
    Maybe, but it creates jobs for roadies.

p4pb11667921.jpg
  • pinno
    Change the record Stevo. How many times have you posted that pic? Besides, it's a pan flat car park and the poor feeble crudder needs a tow.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Change the record Stevo. How many times have you posted that pic? Besides, it's a pan flat car park and the poor feeble crudder needs a tow.
    There are a few roadies moaning about their job prospects over in Cake Stop so I thought I should do my bit.