Starting out.

solidsneek
solidsneek Posts: 57
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
So I have a MTB which cost me around £500 so nothing spectacular but real nice looking. I ride it a lot along the canal 10-15 miles at a time. I think however I want to start hitting some beginner trails. I live in the west midlands (cannock chase) however I worry, worry that I have never done a trail before and that 1- I don't want to embarrass myself and 2- People think I am slow and no idea what I am doing. Any reccomended tips and tricks to get started?

Thanks guys. :mrgreen:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just go and ride, everyone starts out somewhere. Don't worry what other people think, it's not important, just have fun.
    We have a FB page for local rides, see if there's anything similar your way - I'm sure there is. We regularly get new people, and it's no hassle to help them round, and warn them of plces they could get killed, or worse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • solidsneek
    Great advice! I just think it's about not wanting to hold people up or whatever. A trail to myself would be good just to get into the swing of it but I think you are right.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Arrange to go out mid week sometime when it's quiet, or find some local trails and play a bit.
    Otherwise just keep an ear out and let faster people through when you can.
    But everyone is allowed on the trails so if people are impatient tough.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • solidsneek
    Thats a great piece of advice. Thanks man! I live like 20 minutes from the chase so I would be mad not to.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Also remember that as long as you are in front of them, they need to watch out to not run into you, just try to let them pass when there is room (only when YOU can, it's not your responsibility to make sure they keep a safe distance)
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • solidsneek
    Thanks guys really great advice there. There is a place by me called Sandwell valley they have recently made little trails which I don't believe are too taxing which would help me get used to the 'harder' trails.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    solidsneek wrote:
    Thanks guys really great advice there. There is a place by me called Sandwell valley they have recently made little trails which I don't believe are too taxing which would help me get used to the 'harder' trails.
    I live about 10 minutes from Sandwell Valley, the trails there are fairly fun for a new rider. I still go occasionally when I can't be bothered to go further afield.
  • solidsneek
    whyamihere wrote:
    solidsneek wrote:
    I live about 10 minutes from Sandwell Valley, the trails there are fairly fun for a new rider. I still go occasionally when I can't be bothered to go further afield.

That is awesome dude! Where about are they in the valley? I only live in Wednesbury.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    Stourbridge local here.. in the same boat as you not wanting to look slow, but really looking forwards to giving cannock a shot once i have a decent helmet to save my brain when i inevitably come off! :)
  • KMG
    KMG Posts: 146
    Whilst you could always take a day off and session the trails when they are quieter the advantage of riding when others are around is that you can learn from them. I've been riding for more years than I care to remember and I still get ideas for lines from others, it's a creative, ever learning sport so just get out there and enjoy yourself. For every idiot out there that does mind you slowing them up I can assure you that there are another then out there that will be nothing but encouraging!
  • solidsneek
    KMG wrote:
    Whilst you could always take a day off and session the trails when they are quieter the advantage of riding when others are around is that you can learn from them. I've been riding for more years than I care to remember and I still get ideas for lines from others, it's a creative, ever learning sport so just get out there and enjoy yourself. For every idiot out there that does mind you slowing them up I can assure you that there are another then out there that will be nothing but encouraging!

Thanks man that is great advice. I know once I have done it a couple of times I will be fine it's just getting used to it all.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    solidsneek wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    solidsneek wrote:

That is awesome dude! Where about are they in the valley? I only live in Wednesbury.
    Go to the Swan Pool car park, then the start of the trail is to the right, (looking from the car park towards the pool).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.52769 ... a=!3m1!1e3
  • martin36
    martin36 Posts: 2
    I've not long started and go Cannock I'd be happy join up I'm not that fast and don't mind what pase it is I e been goin once a week in the evenings after work
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    At Cannock, I'd recommend going around Follow the Dog but avoiding The Monkey as a beginner. I visited Cannock for the first time a few weeks ago and whilst I've been down the reds (and bits of black) at Llandegla there are plenty of sections where I stop, get off and push the bike around. At Cannock on FTD there was nothing really like that apart from the steps near the junction with The Monkey route. If you're an adult, have a half decent MTB and can ride a bike, I'd say you'd be fine round Cannock.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)