A question about art

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Hiya!

I am hoping for some input from anyone who has some skill as an artist, and wondered if any Cakeptoppers would be interested.
I have almost finished a book (writing it, not reading it). I have around 70,000 words written so far. The book is largely autobiographical, and involves a lot of stuff about cycling. Because I am not famous or a successful athlete, it's very unlikely that anyone will want to publish it in the traditional manner, so I was thinking of doing it on Kindle. In order to do this I will need some cover art, but do not have the skill or equipment to produce something in electronic format. This is where I need a bit of help.

If anyone is interested in producing some cover art, I would be interested to hear from you. There is obviously no money in it; in fact, anything I might make from the book's eventual sale will most likely go to charity anyway. However, if you would like to help me out, please get in touch.

Also, if anyone has experience of self-publishing on Kindle and has advice, please feel free to chip in.

Many thanks in advance,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Why don't you take a photo of yourself or your bike that you like and tweak it a bit with photoshop or other image editing program?
    left the forum March 2023
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    ^^^

This. You can just get a photo of yourself cycling and then effects are really easy to apply. The best one would be to apply effects which will make your photo look like a drawing or painting. Just a couple of clicks and you can get something that will look fantastic as a book cover.
  • pottssteve
    Why don't you take a photo of yourself or your bike that you like and tweak it a bit with photoshop or other image editing program?

Thanks, I hadn't thought of this. I could make myself look thinner and more attractive at the same time!
    I don't know how to drive photoshop, but there are some IT nerds at work who will probably be able to help.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    What's the book about? I know you said autobiography, but how old are you, and when is the period of your life that it covers?

The older I get, the better I was.

• pottssteve
    Capt Slog wrote:
    What's the book about? I know you said autobiography, but how old are you, and when is the period of your life that it covers?

I'm 47. It covers specific incidents in my life between childhood and almost present day. The first part is told through "flashbacks" during a ride in Hong Kong, while the second part relates to a period of about 3 years when I lived in the Netherlands, worked for cycling organisations and rode as part of a group from Maastricht to Wales. There are certain themes, including transport and travel. It's bl00dy funny (or so I'm told by friends who have read bits, although they might just have been being nice!)