The PLP

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
If they feel so deeply as they do about Corbyns leadership why not all resign and lets have a hundred odd by elections and let the public decide what sort of labour party they want.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I said shortly after the referendum I reckon a new party will spring up as a result of all this along the lines of the SDP. Some of the more right leaning Labour MPs and some pro EU Tories will get together. The Lib Dems lost so much support having joined a coalition with the Tories they are barely viable so I reckon a new third option will come out of this.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    If we leave, what would be the point of any pro EU MP's being in Parliament at all ?

this is what Benn said about the Labour leadership "I genuinely do not believe the Labour Party is electable if we pursue the present course."

the Benn quoted was TONY back in 1988, seems causing trouble is in the genes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    If they feel so deeply as they do about Corbyns leadership why not all resign and lets have a hundred odd by elections and let the public decide what sort of labour party they want.
    I'd prefer the traditional leadership challenge - looking forward to voting again :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Lookyhere wrote:
    If we leave, what would be the point of any pro EU MP's being in Parliament at all ?

60% of our laws came from Brussels for 40 years, they will all need to be redrafted into UK law and they will need to implement the laws regarding our exit. They are going to be busier than one handed jugglers with crabs.

Specifically there will be one huge rumpus when the bills come in over how much austerity and how much extra taxation. Also I imagine the Tories will want rid of a lot of the workers rights forced upon us by faceless Brussels bureaucrats. That EU law limiting bankers bonuses is unlikely to last long
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Lookyhere wrote:

60% of our laws came from Brussels for 40 years, they will all need to be redrafted into UK law and they will need to implement the laws regarding our exit. They are going to be busier than one handed jugglers with crabs.

Specifically there will be one huge rumpus when the bills come in over how much austerity and how much extra taxation. Also I imagine the Tories will want rid of a lot of the workers rights forced upon us by faceless Brussels bureaucrats. That EU law limiting bankers bonuses is unlikely to last long

Most of the EU derived laws I deal with are already part of UK law (i.e., they will still be in force) and I can't see that leaving the EU is going to have a material impact to a lot of them UNLESS we decide we want to repeal some of them and replace them with something else.

E.g., most/all EU H&S law in the UK is implemented into UK law via UK Statutory Instruments (regulations) under the powers granted to the HSE by the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 which is nothing to do with the EU. It's the Act of Parliament which gives those regulations power in the UK and the SIs exist in UK law in their own right.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474

One of the most disconcerting aspects is the Tories have been in self destruct mode since the referendum result and no one has put their boot on the throat of the Tories. Corbyn is ineffective as a leader and was AWOL during the referendum which highlights the issue we face as a country.

If Corbyn wins the leadership challenge do you consider mass migration of Labour MP's to the Lib Dems or Tories is feasible, both parties now closer to the ideology of Blair than ever before? Or is fresh start by incorporating a new party more likely?

Consider this, If Corbyn wins, how will he fill all the roles within the shadow cabinet? Apart from that challenge the next aspect is even more chilling and thats the quality of individual chosen, not on merit but from a dwindling pool with a race to the bottom in terms of brains, intellect, effectiveness and ability. Dire times indeed.

One of the most disconcerting aspects is the Tories have been in self destruct mode since the referendum result and no one has put their boot on the throat of the Tories. Corbyn is ineffective as a leader and was AWOL during the referendum which highlights the issue we face as a country.

We need an effective opposition, Corbyn may have many virtuous traits as a man, but Labour need a leader not a protester to unify the PLP and grass roots otherwise the party will split which means with a majority of 12, the Tories will be unchallenged in government.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I would like to see the Blairites back their leader, then when labour lose the next election Corbyn would step down.

It is lamentable that labour are in such a mess, as for splits if Corbyn wins I think it is almost inevitable.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Or just resign the whip so that the SNP could have a go at being the official opposition?