Is the Specialized Hairport useless or is it just me?

Simon Notley
Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
edited December 2016 in Women's cycling forum
...or my wife actually, as I'm posting on her behalf.

She's had a Specialized helmet for years which sat fine above her pony tail. Ordered a Propero II recently as a replacement thinking the hairport seemed like a nifty extra. However, to get her pony tail through the hole she has to put the helmet on back first, and then push the front end down and forward, the exact opposite of how most people put on a helmet. The net effect of this is that her hair is pulled forward out of the pony tail and over her face and she then has to try to tuck it all back in somehow. Is it just her? Surely not? This seems like a total design failure.

Even this video supposedly promoting it makes it look like a pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Seplgg_ME

Can't send it back as it's safety equipment so have to make do with moaning online!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    My girlfriend has a helmet with the hairport. She finds it really useful.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Why can you not send it back....?

I have probably returned a dozen helmets over the years to the likes of crc, wiggle and ribble with zero issues.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Daniel B wrote:
    Why can you not send it back....?

I have probably returned a dozen helmets over the years to the likes of crc, wiggle and ribble with zero issues.

Turns out we can send it back, although returns policy states no returns on safety equipment, so only the postage lost.

Still seems like a flawed design to me. If you could open it and then close it around a ponytail that would be much better, but posting it through seems like a pain. She's just going to go back to a men's helmet where her ponytail fits fine below the adjuster. At least it works for someone!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    My Hermes is potentially the cheapest solution.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • helbo
    helbo Posts: 1
    This is a hilarious thread - men talking about their girlfriends' helmets!

Just to say I have one of these helmets and it's my favourite piece of kit. In fact I found this thread when I was searching online to buy a new one! I don't understand the issues you have described. I place the helmet on my head and simultaneously pull out my (very thick) pony tail through the gap. It's dead easy and the only problem I ever have is that my pony tail may be a tad too high and just needs pulling down a touch. It's the only proper option I've ever seen for the helmet / pony tail issue - I really don't want to have to wear my pony tail really low on my neck (and get hot and sticky) just because the helmet won't accommodate where I normally wear it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How does Sagan cope with his pony tail??