Looking for a new wheel rim & nipple key

Jim Lyon
Jim Lyon Posts: 72
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I've got a1997 Marin "Mount Vision", which being a fair weather bike hasn't done all that much mileage, though I'm not sure how much, but certainly significantly less than I've done on my old Trek Antelope 820. On the Marin the rear rim has just split because of wear from the rim brakes. This is the original rear rim which is a MAVIC. As far as I can make out the I.D. numbers on the rim are 559x17-6106 ? BTW this rim takes 32 spokes.
If I have to replace worn out parts, if possible I prefer to upgrade. As far as I understand, this rim has been constructed in such a way as to have , in effect, an inner rim, which amounts to a "double rim" to make it stronger for use in the dirt. As I mainly use the bike on the roads round Sheffield ( which are pretty rough ! ) I'd like a lighter rim.. As the first thing to fail on the rim is the fact it's been worn out by the brakes, I thought I might as well go for a lighter rim for road use e.g. another Mavic or equivalent rim, but with single thickness only to reduce some unsprung weight, etc. Apart from saving weight, the next thing I'm looking for is value for money, so I would be willing to change over to a a similar ( or better quality ) brand for quality & value of money. As getting a reasonable online deal is part of getting value for money, can anybody supply me with a suitable link that'll give me such a deal?
While it may or may not be partivcularly relevant, I'm using Magura HS33 "Racing Line" brakes with grey pads on the back & the rear tyre is a Schwalbe Kojak 2.0" slick.
As I'll be fitting the new rim myself, I find that the nipple key I used on the Trek is too big for the Marin spokes, would somebody be good enough to tell me what size the nipples are/ size of better fitting nipple key I need & recommended brand & where to get, online?- TIA

Cheers,
Jim

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No-one will be able to tell you what size spoke key you need, I use a cheap multi size key (the round ones you can get from pound shops) to get the right sizing and then buy that. But as you'll almost certainly need new spokes and nipples to match the ERD (effective rim diameter) of your new rim you may find your current spoke key will be the right size.

You are talking about double wall rims, many lightweight rims are double wall as the form means you don't need as much metal in a box section for the same strength as in a single wall, my Stans Alpine rims are double wall and just 325g.

Given you'll need a rim, spokes and nipples I would be considering if a 20 year old hub is worth keeping or not. If you can't build a wheel you are looking at circa £45 for spokes and build, add another tenner for butted spokes.

Decent value rim
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod127034
    A bit lighter for a fair bit more
    http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/prod/2381/Mav ... ake+26%22/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jim Lyon
    Jim Lyon Posts: 72
    The Rookie wrote:
    No-one will be able to tell you what size spoke key you need, I use a cheap multi size key (the round ones you can get from pound shops) to get the right sizing and then buy that. But as you'll almost certainly need new spokes and nipples to match the ERD (effective rim diameter) of your new rim you may find your current spoke key will be the right size.

You are talking about double wall rims, many lightweight rims are double wall as the form means you don't need as much metal in a box section for the same strength as in a single wall, my Stans Alpine rims are double wall and just 325g.

Given you'll need a rim, spokes and nipples I would be considering if a 20 year old hub is worth keeping or not. If you can't build a wheel you are looking at circa £45 for spokes and build, add another tenner for butted spokes.

Decent value rim
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod127034
    A bit lighter for a fair bit more
    http://www.ptcycles.co.uk/prod/2381/Mav ... ake+26%22/

THANKS FOR THE INPUT- MUCH APPRECIATED !