New to cycling

Jopanni
Jopanni Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Health, fitness & training
Hi Folks

I'm fairly new to cycling and had been training for an upcoming event this Sat for approx 4 months, however due to unfortunate circumstances i have not been in a position to train in the last month, until Sat past. I am doing the edinburgh night ride this weekend. It's 50 miles so given the fact that i can only really cycle this week i'm not expecting to be that quick and have given myself 5 hours - Is this reasonable ? I am pretty fit anyhow.

Another question is what should I eat on the week coming and on the day itself and how much cycling should i be putting in this week as not to over do it.

Any advice most gratefully received. :D:D:D:D

Comments

• kawaspresso
    kawaspresso Posts: 106
    I think 50 miles is too much for a beginner, especially for someone who is not pretty fit.
    I ride 4/5 times a week both road and MTB, I can expect to do a 50miles - 9000ft D+ in 6h30.
    You can do it in 5h if it's a flat ride and nothing technical.
    During the ride eat carbs and stay hydrated.
  • Jopanni
    Jopanni Posts: 4
    Hey Thanks for your reply i was getting up to 40 miles before i stopped training and managed 30 last week so hopefully it wont be too hard - the ride is pretty flat with arthurs seat at the beginning. Fingers crossed
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Distance isn't really the key measure. Its climb. If you haven't trained, there is no point in training hard now. Better to stretch and ride gently.

In terms of food - no need to carb load unless you have a low BMI. Energy powder (sugar, Caffeine vits) in your drink will fuel you on the day, maybe with a couple of flapjacks in your pocket and a decent (but not too big breakfast).

Set a pace that keeps you in your endurance zone - i.e. not panting and sweating hard. Still able to breathe through your nose etc.
  • diy wrote:
    Distance isn't really the key measure. Its climb. If you haven't trained, there is no point in training hard now. Better to stretch and ride gently.

In terms of food - no need to carb load unless you have a low BMI. Energy powder (sugar, Caffeine vits) in your drink will fuel you on the day, maybe with a couple of flapjacks in your pocket and a decent (but not too big breakfast).

Set a pace that keeps you in your endurance zone - i.e. not panting and sweating hard. Still able to breathe through your nose etc.

I can agree with that.