Sharetheroad film (Sorry)

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited July 2016 in The cake stop
Hi.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on the share the road film that's come out today? I've noticed it being shared widely by the police and other media outlets today.

Apart from firmly ramming the helmet/hi-vis brigade down our throats, that is.
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    do you have a link?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    presumably mean this https://youtu.be/wJgr_u_ERzs ?

my reaction :roll:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Apart from the really annoying style of the film, and the obviously scripted nature of the talking heads, I'm afraid I can't see it changing anything much, sadly. Oh, and cars and bikes don't exactly have equal rights to be on roads, of course... drivers have to be licensed, and the cars MOT'd, taxed and insured.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's not a very good video is it. Everything sounds so wooden and it's badly put together.

It doesn't help that it's aimed at motorists and the woman seen riding on her own first is too far out. To follow that you get those 4 chumps riding 2 abreast on a road they don't where have to. That road is wide enough to have people pass more easily if they singled out, there's only 4 of them not 14.

What's actually needed is two separate campaigns for the drivers, one aimed at people who don't get wound up at cyclists but who you can educate more to increase safety. Then, the second is aimed at the more difficult job of trying to create some empathy with cyclists from the people who do get wound up at them.

The video is a waste of money.

What's also needed is more education aimed at cyclists that ride badly or can improve it, that would help too.

It's clear that the single most (potentially) annoying thing any road user can do constantly is to hold other road users up. Commuting aside, it's because motorists are trying to get somewhere and cyclists are just riding around for fun that as soon as a motorist gets held up that they might get wound up, the potential of that will always happen when people are using the road for entirely different means.

I both cycle lots and drive lots.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    In conclusion, some people are selfish. Plain and simple, but difficult to change.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Not a bad video in my opinion.

Sure, you can pick holes in it for the riding styles, but they had to illustrate the points and I don't see that they make a bad job of it. It shows the situation from each perspective,

It all comes over as non-confrontational, asks that we do likewise, and the basic message is pleasantly stated to both sides.

It's true that it won't reach the complete and utter prats (from both sides), but then nothing will.

The older I get, the better I was.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Personally I'd prefer a series of videos solidly debunking myths - for instance "Cyclists are may use the road (and are advised to in certain circumstances) even when there is 'cycle path' alongside'; 'Cycling two-abreast is not only legal, it's safer for them in many cases, and easier to pass them safely'. I agree completely with the sentiment that we should 'all get along', but this video ain't going to do it.

We need a Reginald Molehusband now for how to get on with cyclists on the road.