Vittoria Corsa G+ Road Tyre

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi I am after some advise please.

My 2016 Giant propel needs new rubber and have been drawn in by the hype around these seemingly do it all tyres.

Anyone running them and can you give me some feedback on them. I dont mind paying for a good tyre.

Important areas are, as i am sure they are for most. Fast rolling, puncture resistance.

Hopefully too you can get them in a non tan sidewall :)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitt ... graphene16

Comments

• bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    There's an unbelievable amount of hype surrounding these tyres. The marketing has certainly worked extremely well.
    I know a few people that have them and they seem happy enough, (albeit with some reports of punctures), but I don't think they've been 'life-changing'....

They're also very expensive.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I like mine, are they better than the old Corsa, no idea, any gains will likely be from my day form not the tyre. Feel good on wet surfaces when caught in rain or just wet roads from previous days rain.

I got a good deal and needed to replace the old corsa I was running. No idea what milage I'll get, tend to get approx 3000 miles from the old Corsa/Paves I used, but again I think I've had 2 punctures over 4 sets.

No puncture problems, touch wood, but the sidewall is very bare all the way to the rubber, which doesn't come too high.

I'd probably try and buy some old Corsa's and save 15/20 quid a tyre.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I use the older Corsa CX and they wear out very quickly but they are race tyres. Hopefully these new ones wear better with the same performance. They are now available in all black. Old Corsas are available for £25.00 each.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I won some and sold them on, as they wouldn't have been suitable for use on my Kinesis.

If I had a more suitable bike I certainly would have kept them to try!
  • Thanks for the info above. I actually found a shop with these fitted to wheels today ( the grey ones, not the tan ) but when i put those wheels in my bike it looked very odd as my bike is matte black and blue.

I know i know but i didnt realise they didnt do them in plain black. although someone above mentions they do now ? do they ?

thanks in advance .
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mine are black, but are a grey, black/grey/gunmetal.

Doesn't stand out when the wheel is spinning mind
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Flâneur wrote:
    Mine are black, but are a grey, black/grey/gunmetal.

Doesn't stand out when the wheel is spinning mind

Yeh thats what they had on these wheels black tyres with a grey sidewall, I know its so stupid but it just looked off with my bike.

Real shame as they tyres do seem good !
  • ytchi
    ytchi Posts: 61
    Mantel are doing these for £30 each at the moment - just got a couple of black (grey) 25mm ones + latex tubes.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I've been running the 25mm version for about 400-500 miles. Got a puncture after 3 miles, ran over a pyramid shaped piece of glass that would have cut any lightweight road tyre.

Apart from that minor mishap, I've been happy with them. Roll well, grip well, seem to be holding up OK. I normally ride GP4000, and if I was doing a blind test I'm not sure I'd notice that much difference.

One thing to note is that the official Vittoria pressure app suggest I run them at 120psi, wheras the equivalent Conti only suggest 95-100. The cotton case on the Vittoria is very supple, running them too low makes them feel like you have a flat, it's a weirdly squashy ride.

The natural wall look really good on the right sort of bike.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The reason why vittoria say use 120 psi is because they are italian. Challange say 90-130 psi for the 30mm wide strada bianca open tubular. Way too high. Italians like there teeth being rattled out it is how it was done back in day.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    The reason why vittoria say use 120 psi is because they are italian. Challange say 90-130 psi for the 30mm wide strada bianca open tubular. Way too high. Italians like there teeth being rattled out it is how it was done back in day.

I don't find them rattly at 110-120, even though I'm pretty light. However, at 95 I do feel like I'm riding a bouncy castle! Maybe it's because I've not ridden cotton cased open tubulars and I'm not used to the feel of the ride.
  • mikenetic wrote:

I don't find them rattly at 110-120, even though I'm pretty light. However, at 95 I do feel like I'm riding a bouncy castle! Maybe it's because I've not ridden cotton cased open tubulars and I'm not used to the feel of the ride.

This is pretty much the same for me on the Corsa CX. 120 rear 110 front and I'm sub 65kg.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    mikenetic wrote:

Agreed. I have always ridden the Corsa's (G+ and older versions) 10-15 psi higher than other tyres for similar levels of comfort.

I'm not light or Italian and enjoy stable, calm teeth.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I run mine at 90 PSI front and rear. absolutely fine. nice ride and still roll well...

Compared to the SC's these really do last. and grip far far better. only had one puncture as well.
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    6 punctures in 4 months, different tubes, different places on the tyre. One was a blowout in a big race that nearly caused me to wipe out half the front group. Bad.
    A mate also had one pop off his front wheel whilst riding last week.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Slightly OT but check out the rolling resistance on these:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... speed-2016

I'd stick them on for a TT but I'd be scared of never finishing................
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I fitted these at the weekend in 25c version decided to go for it !

Love the way they roll compared to the Giant p-SLR-1 tyres that came on the bike as standard

In fact the weight difference is pretty big !

209g for the original tyres

262g for the new ones !

106g of rotational weight added :(