Upgrading drive train advice

glubbuk
glubbuk Posts: 13
edited July 2016 in Road beginners
I'm looking to upgrade the drivetrain on my 2013 Raleigh Revenio 1.

In a few weeks I'm holidaying in the alps and will take my bike but today the hills of the Peak District have killed me, partly due to having an 11-26 8 speed rear cassette and 50/34 at the front. (Shimano 2600 stuff I believe)

My question is, if I were to buy a Shimano 105 chainset, front and rear derailleur and an 11-32 11 speed cassette, would it fit my bike, and would i need to buy anything else. I have Raleigh AC 1.0 wheels.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I don't really know what I'm doing an don't want to spend too much (£200 max) as I'm saving for a carbon framed bike sometime in the next 6 or 7 months.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    You'll need both 11 speed shifters and a 11-speed compatible rear wheel, and 11 speed chain too. i doubt the Raleigh AC 1.0 wheels are 11 speed compatible. Probably 10 speed max.

For much less outlay. You could achieve the same low gear buy fitting a long cage CLARIS rear derailleur and an 11-32 8 speed cassette + a longer chain if needed.
  • glubbuk
    glubbuk Posts: 13
    That sounds like a good option. Thanks for that and fo potentially saving me a good few quid.