Upgrade time, new forks or new wheels

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited July 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, it's been a long time since posting on here....

I've finally gone the 29er route, a Whyte T129 works, which has replaced my Spesh Enduro and I love it! It's as capable as the enduro, but faster! (IMO)

It's only a few rides old, but I love upgrading things... 2 things i'm tempted with at the minute is either new/longer forks or new stronger wheels. (or both :D )

Current forks are Fox float CTD 120mm, thinking of swapping to a pair of 140mm Pikes. Plenty of people have upped the front travel 20mm with positive effects, so fancy that.

Wheels are currently skinny 19mm WTB's, thinking of swapping them to a pair of Hope tech enduro's.

I use the bike for everything from tame xc to Antur Stiniog. Question is, if I had to pick 1 out of the 2 upgrades, which would be the best bet ?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not sure I'd go to 140mm on a T129, it's not really a hardcore sort of bike. Upgrading to a fork 35/36 stanchion fork would improve steering and stability though and anything is better than the CTD Fox damper.
    How old was your Enduro? There's a huge difference in capabilities between a modern Enduro and a T129
  • DodgeT
    It was a 2011 Enduro, so not too old. Bear in mind I'm no pro though, so never seen the limits of the Enduro.
    The Whyte does feel really good on steep and rough stuff. Seems to be a few on singletrack who have stuck 140's on and have nothing but good to say about it.
    I just wasn't sure whether a more stable fork, or more stable wheels would give the best ride benefit?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A combination of the two really. No point having a stiff fork with flexy wheels and no point having stiff wheels with a flexy fork.
    If the bike is still under warranty you might want to check whether a longer fork will invalidate it. A lot of manufacturers won't allow longer forks under warranty due to the extra forces imposed on the frame.
    Having said that though, Transition positively encouraged it and said they have done the same to their bikes.
  • DodgeT
    So, have done both. Pair of 140mm pikes and a set of arch ex on pro 2's to be fitted before the weekend. :)
  • Kingzolo
    Kingzolo Posts: 52
    DodgeT wrote:
    So, have done both. Pair of 140mm pikes and a set of arch ex on pro 2's to be fitted before the weekend. :)

How much did u pay for the wheels and what do they weigh :D?
  • DodgeT
    They weigh approx 1900gm and seem really sturdy. Handled snowdon ranger path no problem. I got them second hand, albeit nearly new.