On One Codeine as an XC bike ?

Parkwood
Parkwood Posts: 15
edited July 2016 in MTB general
Love on one stuff having built quite a few HT's over the years, I'm now turning toward a full suss having stayed away from them for years. I've got my heart set on a Codeine 29er, I've currently got a HT parkwood 29er and love the big wheel thing but my ass is screaming for a rear shock. The thing is I only ride XC and bike park stuff, I'm no downhill hero and don't want to be, the codeine only runs a 1 / 11, is this going to be a big no no for an xc bike and how do you guys think the Codeine will be suited for XC??
Thanks in advance guys and gals

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's 'trail' oriented bike - xc bikes tend to be a bit less travel, steeper angled and lighter. But that could be just the ticket, something with a bit more to it, more stable over the rougher parts, but not massively heavy for the smoother xc stuff.

As for gearing, is very personal. The 10-42 cassette on the SRAM s a fair old range though, about the same as a 32/22 double crank with 11-32 cassette.
  • petriodet
    petriodet Posts: 44
    i've used my codeine on some xc rides and it's not a racing whippet but it's not to bad as it climbs reasonably ,i find bikes with slacker HA more comfortable over long distances.
  • Parkwood
    Cheers for your replies guys :-)
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    I use 1x11 and I like doing my xc and even on my 6 mile commute to and from work. It's fine, not much difference from my 2x10 on my other bike
  • Parkwood
    The more I read about 1 x 11 the better it sounds :-)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can go 1x10 with a Sunrace cassette a fair bit cheaper (and lighter for the lower budget) if you want to.

Just gone 1x10 (from 1x9) on mine and on a short test ride (about 1 mile) it was faultless. I saved even more by using my 9 speed mech with a Tiagra shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Relaxitscool
    Relaxitscool Posts: 103
    I have a 27.5 Codeine, it descends like a DH bike and climbs like a XC bike. And that is no exaggeration, the bike is the ultimate do anything bike. The last bike I will ever own (before I'm so old I need an E Bike)

Rob
  • The Rookie
    With all due respect, if you think the Codeine climbs like an XC bike you haven't ridden a decent XC bike, it may be very good but a proper XC bike will be faster up a climb (unless it's incredibly techy).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Relaxitscool
    The Rookie wrote:
    With all due respect, if you think the Codeine climbs like an XC bike you haven't ridden a decent XC bike, it may be very good but a proper XC bike will be faster up a climb (unless it's incredibly techy).

Previous bike includes a Cannondale Flash 29er, it climbs better than that bike. Perhaps not a high high end carbon XC bike, but for a AM bike, you'll be very surprised.

Regards

Rob
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like a technique issue then!
  • Relaxitscool
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like a technique issue then!

I tend to sit and spin, if it gets really steep I perch on the nose of the saddle. I also use an oval chain ring which is a a god send on steep climbs.

Rob