Lateral movement on rear wheel advice

joeguerilla
joeguerilla Posts: 29
edited July 2016 in Road general
Hi, just looking for a bit of advice from an expert as I struggle to find one at any of my local bike shops these days...

I've just bought some wheels that seem almost new, but I've discovered there is side to side movement in the rear wheel. Not sure what needs doing to fix it and how much it'll cost me. It has ceramic bearings and a campag free hub so probably won't be cheap :/

Any advice would be much appreciated
Thanks

Comments

• mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    You'll need to say what wheels they are, could be any number of reasons.
  • Sorry, the wheels are campagnolo shamal ultra mega g3, new model.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It could just be that the hub bearings need adjusting. Do you know how to do it? It's simple. There is a split adjusting collar on the axle on the non-drive side of the hub. You loosen it with a tiny allen key and turn the collar clockwise on the axle until play disappears before tightening it up to lock it. You can do this with the wheel still on the bike or remove wheel and QR and hold axle steady on the drive side with a larger Allen key.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Is the quick release tightened correctly?
    Is the wheel seated properly in the drop outs?
  • Hi both,

Yes I've checked that wheel is sitting correctly and QRs are nice and tight but still getting the wobble.

Hopefully the bearings then can be adjusted but I'm not a mechanic so a bit nervous about fiddling with the axle. I'll have a look later and let you know how I get on - I know the bit you're referring to with the small allen key but not sure what I should be turning clockwise?

Thanks for your help
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Turn the bit that holds the allen bolt. If you take the wheel off, undo the allen bolt and then see what moves, it should be straight forward to see what moves, and how it affects the bearing. You want the slightest bit of play when tightening the bearing, as when you put the wheel back in the QR skewers will compress the axle a bit and the bearings will tighten.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Awesome, this really helps. Thank you
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, if there's bearing play then you want to turn the collar /adjuster clockwise - only finger pressure needed - you can do it with the wheel in the frame and QR closed so simply tighten to remove any play and re-tighten the allen key.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Thank you for everyone's advice. It was a really simple fix, no wobble at all now!! :))