£200-£300 bike... what would you recommend?

youradds
youradds Posts: 22
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've seen a few posts around here relating to bike suggestions. I took a look at the suggestions, but they all seem to be out of stock :(

Does anyone have any suggestions of a decent mountain bike (will also be used on road, but not as much).

I have £200-300 to spend (I'm going to buy stuff like a new seat, lights, etc, on their own once I have got the main frame)

I'm about 1.7m height, 12st ... so whatever would suit my size would be much appreciated :) (I've spent hours looking over Amazon, but most of them just look tack!)

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Halfords have the Vengeance. They sell pretty well and look an old bike.

Or you could buy second han.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Rockrider 520 from Decathlon at £240
  • father_jack
    "I'm going to buy stuff like a new seat,"

Why would you buy a new seat? You may get on with the supplied saddle. Only change it if you don't like it.
  • youradds
    Halfords have the Vengeance. They sell pretty well and look an old bike.

Or you could buy second han.

Thanks - that Vengeance one looks like just the job :) I've put in an order for it (going to get them to build it, as they are offering it for free... and saves me fumbling around trying to work it out!). You also get a 6 week checkup, which I guess is worth a few quid ;)

With regards to the new seat - I was only going to do that if I didn't get on with it :) Every bike I've brought in the past, has had a REALLY horrible hard seat - so I was just saying I'm more than happy to invest in a decent one (once I've tried it out)

Thanks!

Andy
  • youradds
    apreading wrote:
    Rockrider 520 from Decathlon at £240

Thanks. That was one of the ones I looked at in the other forum posts here. Unfortunately, they are out of stock in all sizes :(

Cheers

Andy
  • father_jack
    "has had a REALLY horrible hard seat -"

My Brooks saddle is rock hard, I did a 60 mile ride and it's dead comfy. Don't assume a soft squishy gel saddle is comfy. It's more to do with the shape. Also wider saddle doesn't mean it's more comfy either.
  • youradds
    "has had a REALLY horrible hard seat -"

My Brooks saddle is rock hard, I did a 60 mile ride and it's dead comfy. Don't assume a soft squishy gel saddle is comfy. It's more to do with the shape. Also wider saddle doesn't mean it's more comfy either.

Thanks - will take that into consideration :) I've been using my brothers old one, and it has a wide gel seat. I did a 4 mile ride 2 weeks ago (after not riding for 7 or 8 years!), and my backside ached for a week! Yesterday I did an 8 mile ride, and it wasn't too bad today. I guess you build up a bit of protection over time ;)

Cheers

Andy
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Thats the key - you need your butt to toughen up, not to soften the saddle. You do need to find a saddle which fits your shape though, just not a soft, squishy, gel one.
  • youradds
    apreading wrote:
    Thats the key - you need your butt to toughen up, not to soften the saddle. You do need to find a saddle which fits your shape though, just not a soft, squishy, gel one.

Cool - I'll give the standard one a go first, and see how I get on with that :) Don't want to spend money for the take of it!

Thanks

Andy