9sd Campag to 10sp Shimano? Wheel / Frame compatible?

bertypreston
bertypreston Posts: 158
edited June 2016 in Workshop
If my rear wheel (gippeme? ) currently has 9spd campag cassette, will my wheel (and spesh allez frame) take a 10spd shimano cassette?

Long story but bike has built from odd parts over the years (think triggers broom!) Considering a new drive train but would rather not have to pay for a new rear wheel too.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Not unless you:
    1. change the free hub, or
    2. buy a 'conversion' cassette, or
    3. buy a shiftmate - https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cables/jtek-shiftmate-1/
    ...but I'm happy to learn of other ways to achieve this. The frame will be OK for spacing.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • bertypreston
    Thanks Andcp. What if i bought a full shimano 9spd groupset (tiagra) - Would this all fit the current wheel / hub / frame?
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Hi berty,

As far as I know, not without a 'conversion' cassette, or a shift-mate. Shimano and Campag free hubs have different shapes to accommodate their own brand cassettes (though SRAM and Shimano are compatible)

Good reading to be had from Chris Juden (ex CTC): http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... s/shimergo
    and of coure Sheldon's website: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetrain-mixing.shtml

It should fit the frame though
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You cannot put a Shimano cassette on a Campag splined freehub (or the reverse) They are fundamentally different shapes.

If you buy the 9 speed Tiagra groupset you'll still need to either:
    a) change the rear wheel,
    b) fit a Shimano pattern freehub to it (if you can find the right one) or
    c) rebuild the wheel with a Shimano hub / freehub.

If the wheel is OK but the rest of the drivetrain is knackered why not go for a Veloce groupset?
  • bertypreston
    Thanks will look at veloce - Can i go 10speed?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The cassettes are incompatible with each other. If you've a Shimano cassette and Campagnolo shifters etc, it will never be smooth noiseless shifting. Same with the reverse. You need a Campagnolo cassette with Campagnolo shifters. As has already been pointed out, you'll need either of:
    1) a rear wheel with a Campagnolo splined freehub
    2) a shift mate
    3) a Campagnolo cassette with Shimano splines from Ambrosia
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks will look at veloce - Can i go 10speed?

If you buy a Veloce 10 speed groupset, it should fit your frame / wheel, yes.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    If your bike is campagnolo stick to that. Shifters, freehub, cassettes aren't compatible between brands. Only difference is brakes.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)