Mavic Kysirium Pro SL OR Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

HD101
HD101 Posts: 28
edited July 2016 in Road buying advice
Considering some new wheels, mainly for foreign trips involving lots of climbing. These are the two I'm currently considering.
Both appear to have treated brake tracks but I've read reports of the Fulcrum's black brake track fading/wearing away much faster than the Mavics (exalith). Any truth in these?
Also the hubs of the Fulcrums are supposedly better. Anyone had any issues with recent model year Mavics?
Thanks

Comments

• johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    edited June 2016
    Currently have the Pro SL's on my Cannondale. Seem absolutely fine and have had no issues with them so far.

Spend a fair amount of time in the Avon Dassett area where there are plenty of decent hills to tackle. Wheels climb and descend well. The brakes surfaces have taken a fair hammering with no signs of increased wear. No handling issues either. Changed tyres to Continental GP4000 which are a big improvement on the stock tyres.

Had a set of Fulcrums in the past. To be honest I couldn't tell the two wheel sets apart when on the bike. If you look after the wheels, keeping them clean and checking them before each ride etc, I can't see what issues you'd have.

Just realized you may be talking about the Mavic Pro Carbon SL?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    You can test ride the Mavic, although reading the terms and conditions it seems more hassle than it's worth and it's not quite clear to me whether you have to fork out if you damage them

http://www.mavic.co.uk/riding-is-believ ... -believing
    left the forum March 2023
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    The Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL got a bad write up in a recent canyon review here due to excessive flex I ended up canceling an order of the model below them the Ksyrium Pro Exalith after reading it.

My bike came with a standard set of ksyriums and I didn't like them at all, average speed seemed to be way down don't know if that was just me having an off month or so or the wheels to be fair. But got some pacenti sl23 rims on dura ace hubs built by a local wheel builder with a good reputation and for me anyway they've made the bike a lot better.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I'm also considering new rims and having read countless reviews and threads on the above wheels, I think I'm going for Shamal Ultras (with the regular alloy brake track) They appear to the best all round clinchers within that price bracket.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    MugenSi wrote:
    I'm also considering new rims and having read countless reviews and threads on the above wheels, I think I'm going for Shamal Ultras (with the regular alloy brake track) They appear to the best all round clinchers within that price bracket.

Can't go wrong with Shamal Ultras as long as you accept the cost of the ceramic bearings is high when you do need them. Treated brake tracks look a mess aesthetically once they get damaged and most people are buying them for aesthetics really.