Can i Run a 8 speed cassette on 10/11 speed free hub?

fattywilliams
fattywilliams Posts: 37
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi
sure this question been asked before somewhere i did do a search but answer was not exactly definitive to my situation.

i have a ROSE cfg 3100 di2 road bike wich came with DT swiss spline r23 wheelset i am looking to upgrade these wheels for some carbon clinchers in near future.

so i would therefore like to put these wheels on my cheaper winter/commuting bike which is just a 8 speed shinamo claris.
ive notice that some shimano wheels state you can use 8/9/10/11 speed. however the information on the DT swiss wheelset i have simply says 10/11?

i cant see any reason why it should be a issue other than a spacer? if so what size spacer would i need and would it go behind the cassette or infront of it near lock ring?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I don't think you need a spacer - it should fit on without - my 8 speeds never had a spacer, but I needed one when I then fitted the 10 speed cassette.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    7/8/9/10 are all the same width freehub. 11 is a bit wider. I imagine the 8 speed cassette will fit but you'd need to put a 10 speed spacer on before the cassette.

eg something like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-h ... GBP&dest=1
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Slowbike wrote:
    I don't think you need a spacer - it should fit on without - my 8 speeds never had a spacer, but I needed one when I then fitted the 10 speed cassette.

On a 10 speed freehub you don't need a spacer with Shimano 7 /8 /9 speed cassettes. You need a thin spacer with Shimano 10 speed 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace cassettes, but not with 10 speed Tiagra which has it built in.

On 11 speed freehubs you'll need to add a 10-11 speed spacer, so for Shimano 10 speed 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace cassettes you'll be using 2 spacers.