Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon vs Dura Ace C35 Clincher

Finch8860
Finch8860 Posts: 11
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I apologise for another blah vs blah post, but I can't seem to find the opinion I need elsewhere.

I'm only 'allowed' one wheelset so I need the perfect all-rounder (which doesn't exist!). I've just sold my current set of 50mm carbon tubs to ensure the sale of my TT bike. I won't be going down the tub route again, that was a daft choice for my only wheelset, and I had a couple of braking related bottom clenching moments on the carbon rims which has me considering a switch back to alloy rims.

I'm 82kgs and now firmly a recreational rider, it's group rides, chain gangs, sportives, and Strata segment chasing for me from this point on. I live in Somerset so rides can be fast and flat across the Somerset Levels or hilly in The Mendips. Sometimes I throw caution to the wind and do a bit of both!

There are clearly a multitude of options but I'm a fan of cup and cone bearings so the choice I've narrowed it down to is:

Fulcrum Racing Zero Carbon - light and wide, proven hubs, something and nothing rim depth BUT still saddled with vague carbon braking. Not much info out there on this wheelset.

Dura Ace C35 - no doubt solid and reliable with proven hubs, debatable aero advantage, alloy rim braking. However, they are narrower (not on trend!), and 200grams heavier (negligible at my weight).

Also in my thoughts are the Dura Ace C24 because I'm not sure rim depth makes a jot of difference between 24 and 35mm and a set of hand built Pacenti SL23s on DA hubs given the versatility and ease of sourcing replacement parts.

This decision probably falls into the 'just pick one and be happy' category but like all emotive gear driven choices I'm finding it tough. Any thoughts, opinions or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    FYI I think there's a set of C35s for sale at the moment in the classifieds (though personally I'd go for handbuilts on DA hubs)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    C35s are a lot of money for some heavy wheels. C24s are a much better all-round choice.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you aren't fussed about tubeless I'd go for H Son Plus on the best hubs budget will allow.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you want one set of "all round" wheels then I would be looking at hand built with the rims, hubs and spokes/lacing that perfectly suit your needs. I would forget "deep" rims, and be looking for a rim that comes in asymmetric for the rear. I would also be looking at tubeless.

My RR440 rimmed wheels with Hope Mono RS hubs are almost perfect, something like that except a bit wider would be bang on the money.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Finch8860
    Thanks for the comments folks, I appreciate your input. :D
  • zoomer42
    zoomer42 Posts: 124
    I've had 2 sets of Zero's and i absolutely loved them. Where you ride they'd be perfect.
  • mct88
    mct88 Posts: 36
    are you already past the stage of considering the alloy zeros?

Haven't ridden the carbon ones but I turn to my alloy zeros as great all rounders - I think most would be very happy on your patch with them. Save yourself some dosh for other goodies!

I agree with others - I wouldn't go deep section!
  • Finch8860
    Funnily enough that's exactly what I've just bought. More on impulse than anything, but £560 on Wiggle seemed too good to pass by! Pretty much half the price of the C35s or Zero Carbons.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Id go the fulcrums myself and the newer dura ace rims have suffered quite a few failures and are not the quality they once were. I had some 7950 the 50mm ones and they covered 12 k miles and were fantastic, never a single issue. Got two sets of the c24 9000 series and both suffered same problem after a few months of a severe wobble on the front end when braking and it seemed to be where the rim joined. Sent back and second pair did the same. After researching quite a few had the same so ive gone away from dura ace wheels. I only have reynolds now as i love them. That said my everyday wheels are ksyrium elites for all round winter duties.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Id go the fulcrums myself and the newer dura ace rims have suffered quite a few failures and are not the quality they once were. I had some 7950 the 50mm ones and they covered 12 k miles and were fantastic, never a single issue. Got two sets of the c24 9000 series and both suffered same problem after a few months of a severe wobble on the front end when braking and it seemed to be where the rim joined. Sent back and second pair did the same. After researching quite a few had the same so ive gone away from dura ace wheels. I only have reynolds now as i love them. That said my everyday wheels are ksyrium elites for all round winter duties.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The C35s look nice but I really don't get why Shimano put such a premium price on them over the C24s.

I had a set of 7800 DA wheels which were completely bullet proof - never had a problem with them (other than trying to replace tubes - the rim profile was a complete nightmare!). I have a set of 7900s on my commuter bike and I have noticed almost a grinding feeling in the rear wheel - suspect the bearings are not in the condition they should be!

I have an old set of alloy zero's and they have been perfect for me. I bought another set of them in anticipation of retiring the current ones but they just keep running smoothly and the new ones remain in their box!

I wouldn't go for the carbon version - not convinced about brake performance nor would I opt for the Mille/ Nite version (Fulcrum Zero and Campy Shamal Ultras are basically the same wheels) with the black coated brake surface - too many people have had issues with the black coating wearing off in bad weather. It would be the tried and tested alloy Zeros for me.

Peter
  • mct88
    mct88 Posts: 36
    Finch8860 wrote:
    Funnily enough that's exactly what I've just bought. More on impulse than anything, but £560 on Wiggle seemed too good to pass by! Pretty much half the price of the C35s or Zero Carbons.

Solid choice no need to make life more complicated than it needs to be!

Enjoy planning how you spend that £400ish.