Cervélo R3 buying advice

French-Marc
French-Marc Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm considering buying a new bike (beloved Diamondback Di2 got stolen). There are so many excellent bikes out there to be bought, I don't want to be stuck in an endless dilemma. After much reading, I thought it would be a good idea to go for a Cervélo R3 2015 (the black/blue one). I can get it for 1700£ in Ultegra, or 2300£ with Ultra Di2. Still deciding whether to go Di2 again, or mechanical + better wheels (DA C24 maybe), since the Fulcrum it comes with a pretty heavy. Can someone comment on this bike? I know it's supposed to be excellent, but more opinions from actual long-term users wouldn't hurt.

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I can comment, as I own a 2015 R3 with Shimano RS81 C24's. For me, it's almost the perfect all rounder - I find it incredibly comfortable over long distances/time as the geometry doesn't seem to be too aggressive. It inspires confidence when descending big alpine passes, but isn't too much trouble for a sorry old man like me to drag to the top to begin with. I recently swapped the Ultegra mechanical group-set for Dura Ace, and to be honest I can't tell the difference - the 11 speed Ultegra is wonderful to use. Mine has the Rotor cranks which are probably wasted on me. I'm sure the wheels do flex a bit, but it's not apparent when I ride.

Almost the perfect all rounder? yes - I think the R5 may be better, as it has the same geometry and is a little lighter. But an R3 for £1700? bargain.

I'm very, very happy with mine, and I think it's my favourite bike. Don't forget I'm only a bloke on the internet.

Andy.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    Wish I could find one at that price, whereabouts is it for sale?
  • mickyj
    mickyj Posts: 26
    I have the same bike you are looking at and love it for many of the same reasons as Andcp. I run mine with the Ultegra mechanical it came with. The frame was designed to have the di2 battery mounted externally I believe so may be something to bear in mind. I thought I got a bargain and I paid £200 more than you have seen the bike for. I have never used the Fulcrum wheels so cannot comment. There is not a lot of room under the fork for rims much over 23mm with 25mm Conti 4000s though.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Just bought the very same bike £1900,I have since change the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Elites,only done about 350 miles so far,loving the feel of this bike,was riding a Focus Cayo Evo before it,the R3 is more for giving on rougher surfaces,the Ultegra is very crisp and nice,the brakes are fantastic compared to the previous model,my only niggle is the creaking cranks and no adjuster for the front mech,would be able to give you a better opinion in about 6 weeks after i have been to the alps for a fortnight,but up to now I have been very impressed,first ride was a hilly 75 mile and i was still comfy at the end of it,
    Personally i would go for ultegra 11 and then treat it to some nice wheels

same as Andcp I'm just a regular rider,but iv'e got the feeling of kid with a new toy with it at the moment
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    MickyJ wrote:
    I have the same bike you are looking at and love it for many of the same reasons as Andcp. I run mine with the Ultegra mechanical it came with. The frame was designed to have the di2 battery mounted externally I believe so may be something to bear in mind. I thought I got a bargain and I paid £200 more than you have seen the bike for. I have never used the Fulcrum wheels so cannot comment. There is not a lot of room under the fork for rims much over 23mm with 25mm Conti 4000s though.

are you running 25's at the moment,as i am just debating whether to buy some or stay with 23's
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Plodder73 wrote:
    Wish I could find one at that price, whereabouts is it for sale?

+1
    Is that price from a UK retailer?

Sounds a steal.
  • Thanks for the replies! I actually live in Canada. I first considered buying a Canyon when I go back to France this Summer, but with the CAD to Euro change rate, it's not worth at all (also not worth crossing the US border to buy something in USD). Since the release of the 2016 R3, it seems that all previous models are on sale. The R3 is 3000CAD, which is 1722£ (granted, I'm not taking into account Canada vs UK salaries, cost of living, etc... so this conversion only has "some" meaning). I tested a Di2 version, which sales for 2300£, but the battery mount inside the frame is kind of awkward I find (just a plastic extension bolted below the bottle cage), and kept vibrating during the ride. It would be 150£ to switch to an internal battery. That's why I figured that for 1722£ I might as well go back to mechanical and upgrade the wheels instead (strange decision maybe...).
  • mickyj
    mickyj Posts: 26
    Yes I am running 25mm tyres.