Good deal on boardman?

Matt12345
Matt12345 Posts: 23
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
In my local halfords there is a 2014 boardman team carbon ex display for sale at £450 reduced from £1000. It has probably been chucked in the stock room for the past 2 years but it seems to be a very good deal and I did not notice anything wrong with the bike. I just want to get other peoples opinions on the bike if you have one or will my money be better spent else where maybe a second hand road bike.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/e ... -bike-2014

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would get the Boardman as it will still have all the usual retailer guarantees with it, second hand there are no come backs.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    The Team Carbon is a cracking bike, and for £450 with a warranty, that is a great bargain in my opinion.
    If it fits, you will not be disappointed.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 If it's the right size for you, that's an absolute steal. As long as you're happy with the Tiagra shifters with the exposed gear cables.

(Both my bikes have this, Tiagra 4500 and 105 5600, and I like the light action and ease of cable replacement. Others detest them and crave the clean lines of fully concealed cables...)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sounds like a great deal but with a couple of caveats. The wheel/tyre combination is a bit pedestrian and unexciting and you could do one of 2 things.

Firstly swap the tyres for some Michelin Pro4 Endurance in 25c size. That will immediately give a boost to the feel of the bike on the road.

Secondly you could go the whole hog and sell on the Mavics and buy some lighter/ better wheels. eg Zondas or handbuilts if you fancy it (Malcolm at Cycleclinic does some tasty combinations in the £200-300 range)
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    If you do i bet you can haggle a bit more too. Usually accessories.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Also, if you are a BC member, ask for the extra 10% discount.