Guildford Town Centre Races 2016

mattlegge
mattlegge Posts: 71
edited June 2016 in Amateur race
Its that time of year again and its time to celebrate the relaying of the setts on Guildford High Street.

TCR16_teaser.jpg

http://www.guildfordcycleraces.co.uk

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Hands down the worst organised race I've ever done.
  • mattlegge
    DavidJB wrote:
    Hands down the worst organised race I've ever done.

Very helpful and positive. Why is that DavidJB ?
    Is not what we hear from most other people in fact quite the opposite.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Let me see, it was 3 years ago so maybe you've improved it.

Couldn't find where to sign on very easily, marshals didn't help, loads of random bottle necks caused by marquees and people making it a massive pain to get anywhere.

Start was confused, people able to get on to the course not through the official waiting area and thus get to the front which is everything in a TC Crit.

To add insult to injury I was pulled out within 10 minutes even though I was nowhere near being lapped after driving 90 minutes each way to get there. The leaders were at least 1/2 a lap behind me and pretty much ignored when I protested.

Just confused and disorganised and a massive waste of time and money.

Pretty sure I sent feedback at the time.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Not my cup of tea to race which makes great viewing! Last year riders were pulled very early on which is harsh considering how small the lap is so with the bunch strung out you will almost be half a lap down instantly!
  • mattlegge
    Pulling riders out is always a tricky one and as you point out is based on the fact that its such a tight and short circuit (which is also part of its charm). As soon as riders start getting lapped it makes things impossible to start tracking who is in what positions with 100% certainty (something we're always trying to improve). The commissionaires are in charge of that so tough to call the volunteer organisers to blame for that. As for the setup of the Town Centre, its a Town Centre, space is limited, riders can always resort to riding faceless races in the back roads of Surrey with noone watching.
    We try to do the best we can in the circumstances we are in (and this year could be even more of a challenge with the council choosing to relay the setts and not completing all the work in time).
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Amazes me the speed they clatter on to the cobbles from the tight left hander through the alleyway. Too dangerous for me. Haha.
  • mattlegge
    You wouldn't find me racing it! Far too tough