Elongated carbon pedal

trailflow
trailflow Posts: 1,311
edited June 2016 in Workshop
My left Shimano Dura Ace 9000 carbon pedal has elongated at the front by a couple of mm's. Now my cleat wont clip in. I've tried tightening the release tension screw but it makes no difference. The gap is too big. i bought them used on ebay about 1.5 years ago and they've been fine since then. I dont think my leg power could have caused it because my legs are quite scrawny (twiglets) :) im pretty sure i didnt leave it next to a hot radiator also. I've gone back to my trusty DA7810's hopefully being made of metal they have a higher melting point/harder density and this wont happen again. I clip out my left leg alot more than the right. Maybe that caused it ? These are my first carbon pedals and google isnt finding any similar examples of this. Has this happened to anybody else or am i the first ?
:):(:o :shock: :evil: :?: :|

Right pedal
3sYvoSi.jpg

Left pedal
HGRMAG7.jpg

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Looks like theres definitely less material at the front on the left - so your cleat has worn it away.

Try a brand new cleat ? Failing that - dont buy carbon again !
  • trailflow
    Ahh i didnt spot that i think you may be right. Might be those cheap chinese cleats ive been buying........... :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The back bit also looks a subtly different shape too...

Maybe it's the combined wear at both ends from the constant unclipping? Or maybe they weren't actually a matching pair when you bought them?
  • trailflow
    Probably combined wear as you say. After inspecting them again the wear on the left (from both sides) looks very smooth and consistant and curves almost like its been machined. Probably why i didnt notice it. The right pedal actually looks rougher and wonkier. Im going to blame the cheapo cleats here and try to unclip less in future. They are probably not made from the right type of plastic and are too hard or abrasive or something. Lesson learnt.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I guess on most bike rides you clip your right foot in once or twice if you have a cake stop,

The left foot would be getting a lot more wear from the unclipping at junctions ? .