Which tyre combo?

markfogel
markfogel Posts: 29
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I am currently running Trail King front and X King Rear, which seems to be a good combo dry conditions but feels a bit slippery when its wet. I am looking for a do it all front tyre combo which will roll nicely but will handle welsh trail centres with confidence. Something which works well in tight turns especially when conditions are less than perfect.

Just wondering if anyone can share their experience with different tyre types?

Thanks!

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    WTB Vigilante (with a Trail Boss rear).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What surfaces do you ride on, what type of riding?

Are the current tyres cheap OE jobs with the plasticky tread (they are evil in the wet)?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • markfogel
    edited June 2016
    The Rookie wrote:
    What surfaces do you ride on, what type of riding?

Are the current tyres cheap OE jobs with the plasticky tread (they are evil in the wet)?

The Trail King is a Black Chilli compound Protection tyre, the X king on the rear is a cheap wire tyre. Drifts and rolls nicely but doesn't offer much grip.

Surfaces, anything from natural, to rocky hardpack with tight turns, berms, trail centers in south Wales. Just need something which I can put on for all year around.
  • markfogel

Thanks! Will take a a look.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chris71127
    Chris71127 Posts: 71

That's what I run on my Whyte all year round. Works for me :wink:
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    The Rookie wrote:
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic

Agreed!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Specialized Purgatory
    The best all round tyre I've used. Grips well even when really worn.
  • markfogel
    Cool thanks!
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    I use Maxxis High Roller 2 & Maxxis Minions all year round front and rear
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Last time I did BPW it was magic mary up front and nobby nic on the back. no problems. Could be done easily with nics all round I just like daft amounts of front grip.
  • markfogel
    Just thought I should share, I managed to get Geax Gato 2.3 for a ridiculous price of £9.99 per tyre these are wet weather xc specific tyres. Got my local shop to install them tubeless on my 29er to replace Schwalbe Tough Tom front and Rapid Rob on rear. Done a whole day riding red trails in Afan yesterday and it was raining continuously, overall the grip Gato tyres offered felt stronger in the wet than the old plastic Schwalbes gave in the dry! I am really impressed with the Geax Gato rolls really well and the grip is amazing, will be buying again for sure.

The original post was for my full sus bike which I did not have a chance to upgrade yet however if anyone looking for a good wet weather tyre for their XC bike definitely consider Gato 2.3

Cheers!
  • Rez 27.5
    Rez 27.5 Posts: 21
    Vigilanta front, trail boss rear. Seems to hold the ground well in my rekindling.

Much better than my evil twins on my HT P2.
  • Der Baron on the front Trail king rear

Der Baron is the grippiest front tyre ive ever ridden