XTR M9000 race brake

The secret rider
The secret rider Posts: 812
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Is anyone using M9000 XTR race versions on a trail / xc bike.

Looking to replace the brakes on my bike and looking at these for pimp factor and also a pair is 407g ! + (discs)

I am after some feedback on how they feel and also how they work when things get a bit more steep and more is required of them.

I guess the other option is the XTM8000 half the price and 170g more per pair.

From what ive read the XTR M9020 is much the same as the XTM8000 all be it about 60g a pair lighter but people say they feel the same on the bike thus not considering them over or instead of XT

I understand they are very different units though so any feedback welcome.

Comments

• BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Those who think M8000 and M9020 feel the same are not using their brakes hard enough. M9020 have more power and better feel in my opinion. I run M8000 on my carbon XC bike and M9020 on my FS bike with the same discs and there is a fair bit of difference between the two at the sharp end.

The M9000 is comparible to the M8000 but has a more on/off feel due to lack of servowave technology in the lever. For the sake of 50g I'd go with the M9020 if I were dropping XTR money.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Thanks for the reply. Given its just a lightweight XC rig perhaps the XT m8000 is the sensible choice.

I guess then it'll cope with the steeper trails too etc.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Thanks for the reply. Given its just a lightweight XC rig perhaps the XT m8000 is the sensible choice.

I guess then it'll cope with the steeper trails too etc.
    For steeper trails having feel is more important than outright power. Any disc brake will lock a wheel at slow steeps on a slope. An XC biased tyre will typically had a more shallow tread and loose traction easier so having feel in the lever would be of even more importance.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Yes I can see where you are coming from, I think I am going to go with the XT as much as I would love to save the extra weight the cost saving wins here I think. Especially at 80+KG easier to leave the pies alone :)

Appreciate your comments thanks
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Very happy with my M9000s, better than the M985s they replaced.

You've flitted between XC/trail and lightweight XC use, but I'd have no qualms recommending M9000s for either. Rotor size will make a bigger difference.
  • Thanks for the feedback - The bike is in bits just now having the frame bearings replaced and I am seriously considering saving up to get these over the XT I run 180 / 160mm discs by the way.

It'll take a bit longer to rebuild and wont even be that light in the end but something nice about doing a nice job of it :)

I was going to upgrade the old girl but it was my first bike so couldn't let it go ha !

Current state ha !

D9056B07-DF92-477C-8FE6-61674B91C399_zpszdsin0o3.jpg
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Thanks for the feedback - The bike is in bits just now having the frame bearings replaced and I am seriously considering saving up to get these over the XT I run 180 / 160mm discs by the way.

It'll take a bit longer to rebuild and wont even be that light in the end but something nice about doing a nice job of it :)

I was going to upgrade the old girl but it was my first bike so couldn't let it go ha !

Current state ha !

D9056B07-DF92-477C-8FE6-61674B91C399_zpszdsin0o3.jpg

Is the second seatpost for the workstand?
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Yes mate the thomspon I run usually.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Yes mate the thomspon I run usually.

got it.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!