Tyre choice - Pyrenees

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm racing the Haute Route Pyrenees in August.

7 days "stage racing" (ok it's technically a sportive, but we'll be racing...)

I'll be using Mavic SLS wheels (almost new) but can't decide on tyres. I'm thinking 23mm and either:

1. Continental GP4000S; or
2. Vittoria Corsa Evo CX.

I use the 4000S for 3 seasons in the UK and love them, but I race on the Corsas every now and then and they are so smooth to ride. Ideally I'd ride the Corsas, but are the potentially rough road surface in the Pyrenees bad enough to warrant going for something a little more robust like the 4000S?

Never ridden in the Pyrenees so not sure how good/bad the surfaces will be. I hear they're a bit more remote and prone to cracks, bumps and stones than the big Alps climbs?

Thanks

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Why restrict yourself to 23s? Move up to 25s with everything to gain and nothing to lose (assuming the bike will take them) - there is nothing wrong with your current choices of tyres, just think bigger.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    The roads in the Pyrenees, like much of France, are, in general, luxurious compared to what we ride on in most of the U.K. These days.

Sure, there are some crappy roads, but they are the exception. Yes, you are more likely to encounter failed surfaces and cracks at this early point in the summer, but by August, they should have worked on any serious winter damage.

I rode around 2300km of French roads a few weeks ago and I was on 25mm 4000s II.

Basically, if you are happy with what you are riding in the UK, then it will be more than adequate for France. And, yes, I would also recommend fatter, especially for a multi-day bike ride. But, be cautious with 4000s as they do size up very big (my 25mm 4000s are the same width as 28mm 4 seasons I use over the harder months).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    25mm Vittorias - I've found mind reasonably tough for a race tyre and the new graphene ones are supposed to be tougher again.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have used both in 25 size, This year I will use the Conti's.
  • There are still people in 2016 not using 25mm tyres!?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I tried 25mm GP4000S II on H Type rims on my Colnago C59 and had to swap for 23mm up front as the top of tyre rubbed the underside of forks very slightly. Interestingly, there was no problem with side clearance - I hadn't thought about increased depth with 25mm tyres. This is what I'm taking to the Maratona next weekend.

Peter
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Roads are roads, you're over thinking it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Can't think of many better ways to spend a self indulgent week, would be out in a shot if I could get away, enjoy

As others have said, ride what you're used to here in the UK. Road surface is generally better, at worst when you head off on minor back roads the surface was no worse than your average UK A/B road in my experience.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    There are still people in 2016 not using 25mm tyres!?

Well, quite. But there are some that cannot physically fit larger tyres in their outdated close clearance frames.

More worrying, there are still people in 2016 who believe that 23mm tyres at huge psi are faster on typical roads than a larger tyre with lower psi.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    marcusjb wrote:
    There are still people in 2016 not using 25mm tyres!?

Well, quite. But there are some that cannot physically fit larger tyres in their outdated close clearance frames.

More worrying, there are still people in 2016 who believe that 23mm tyres at huge psi are faster on typical roads than a larger tyre with lower psi.

i run my 22mm Veloflex clinchers at 145/125psi F/R i dont know what you are on about.
  • marcusjb wrote:

Why would this be worrying?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul