Handle bar bolts

St50vec
St50vec Posts: 57
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Morning all whilst out on my morning ride today the bike just didn't feel right I haven't ridden it all week but something just wasn't right. Anyway I figured it was just me being new to cycling etc until whilst braking the whole handle bar pivoted on it's centre point this scared me and got wifey to pick me up. Has anyone else had this issue I've checked bolts and all where loose can they just rattle loose? Think I'm gonna re torque and put some thread lock on the bolts

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They will only loosen if they weren't tight enough to start with. Get a Ritchey torque key or similar and run it round the bike periodically...
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Carry a multitool
  • St50vec
    I generally use a snapon 1/4 inch torque wrench think from now on I will remember the tool I usually just chuck it in a back pocket. I just don't get how they can be that loose. It scared me silly
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    What had you torqued them up to?

If it were me I would strip it down, check no threads have stripped, use a small amount of non permanent thread lock, put it all back together and torque them up again to what the recommendation is.
  • St50vec
    It says 5nm on the bars so have gone to that with bit of loctight think I'm gonna redo the whole bike as now not happy about the build.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Do a spanner check on all the bolts