About bike foil/skin

Noobstarr
Noobstarr Posts: 12
edited March 2017 in Road general
Good day fellow bikers!

I just want to ask if there's a disadvantage bike foiling your bike in the long run? Coz I've noticed that some bikes (especially the expensive ones) doesn't have bike skin installed on it.

I'm wondering if I should get my bike, bike foiled or not? Some of my friends says yes (to protect my investment) and says no (just show the natural beauty of the bike hehe).

Thanks in advance! Good day again and always ride safe!

Comments

• Ive got a Scott Foil

Would recommend.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    No idea what this means. Bike foil?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I'm assuming the OP means a wrap (plastic covering put on with a hairdryer) to either protect or change the colour/look of wrapped object. Seen loads of cars/vans done, not sure I'd know if a bike was done unless its some outlandish scheme. Or how they would hide the seams on a bike come to that.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Helicopter tape?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Does anyone have photos of a bike that has been done?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FKKOCRV3V9EP27S7KJ.LARGE.jpg
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    Helicopter tape/ paint protecting sticker is a good idea on the drive side chainstay to protect against chips from the chain, and also a couple of small spots on the steerer tube where the cables touch the frame.

Other than that it'll probably look nasty and you might damage the paint taking it off. Also frames take a loooong time to get scratched if you take good care of it (and don't use it as your general club ride bike- a few years worth of cafe stops will eventually take away the 'showroom finish'.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Helicopter tape/ paint protecting sticker is a good idea on the drive side chainstay to protect against chips from the chain, and also a couple of small spots on the steerer tube where the cables touch the frame.
    My carbon bike came with protective stickers on the chainstay and steerer tube, but for my steel bike I bought these years ago:
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do? ... 0wodAm0IUg

You don't notice them unless you look really closely and they are still on protecting the frame.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Imposter wrote:
    FKKOCRV3V9EP27S7KJ.LARGE.jpg

Now THAT put a big old grin on my face. Sort of afraid to ask, but WTF?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Noobstarr wrote:
    Good day fellow bikers!

I just want to ask if there's a disadvantage bike foiling your bike in the long run? Coz I've noticed that some bikes (especially the expensive ones) doesn't have bike skin installed on it.

I'm wondering if I should get my bike, bike foiled or not? Some of my friends says yes (to protect my investment) and says no (just show the natural beauty of the bike hehe).

Thanks in advance! Good day again and always ride safe!

I've NEVER seen any bikes 'foiled' - expensive or not. What are you talking about ? Show us bikes where this happens ?
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Never seen this done to a bike, not even sure if it could be done with the small tubes on a bike (compared to large, relatively flat panels on cars). Just use it, then, after a few years when it's show some wear and tear, you can strip it and get it repainted and it will look like a new bike again.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    edited March 2017
    Not sure anyone will ever look here again - but I was buying some new vinyl wrap for my next project and this thread came up.

So to the OP - yes you can wrap a bike. I originally sourced 3m 1080 wrap from Ebay - but yu can gt from web and amazon too. It massively protects from daily crap - but obviously is not so easy to keep in a pristine state as the bikes original finish; however when you get tired with the colour or it starts getting shabby (a couple of years was fine for me) then you redo.

26195128425_7a48e14d9a_b.jpg
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I used some automotive paint protection film on my new spesh.
    Every part where there is a cable near the frame it's got a bit of the film, as has the underside of the downtube.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    imatfaal wrote:
    Not sure anyone will ever look here again - but I was buying some new vinyl wrap for my next project and this thread came up.

So to the OP - yes you can wrap a bike. I originally sourced 3m 1080 wrap from Ebay - but yu can gt from web and amazon too. It massively protects from daily crap - but obviously is not so easy to keep in a pristine state as the bikes original finish; however when you get tired with the colour or it starts getting shabby (a couple of years was fine for me) then you redo.

26195128425_7a48e14d9a_b.jpg

Nice colour - but what's going on with the angle of the saddle ?
  • Anyone else read the title as foreskin when skimming the page?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Anyone else read the title as foreskin when skimming the page?

Nope, you'd be a bit of a dick to think that :P
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )