Light, fast XC 29er hardtail?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I posted an earlier thread about should I buy a hardtail but the bike I was going to buy was 27.5" and would cost to much for my liking.

So now I'm after a 29" hardtail thats designed for XC (no downhill), very light trails, tarmac and bridalways.

Budget around £1000 or so and needs to have a decent frame as don't mind upgrading components later.
I had my eye on a Haibike freed but they seem few and far between on where to buy them.

Any other suggestions on what to get?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardman 29er, good value at full price but currently 25% off
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/e ... -29er-2014
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattcee
    The Rookie wrote:
    Boardman 29er, good value at full price but currently 25% off
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/e ... -29er-2014

Yeah had my eye on the Boardman but the 12+kg is putting me off.
    Seems out of stock too:
    Collection Not Available - Delivery not available
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you want light weight you would need to be looking at second hand xc race bikes like the stumpjumper or similar.

I ride a specialized carve / crave which is an entry level xc race bike. This and similar xc bikes sell for around £500 second hand which gives you money for upgrades.

Brand new means less risk, only you have ridden the bike but less for your money.
  • Mattcee
    Kajjal wrote:
    If you want light weight you would need to be looking at second hand xc race bikes like the stumpjumper or similar.

I ride a specialized carve / crave which is an entry level xc race bike. This and similar xc bikes sell for around £500 second hand which gives you money for upgrades.

Brand new means less risk, only you have ridden the bike but less for your money.

I'm more than happy with second hand!
    Just need to know what to look for.
  • Lungs94
    Lungs94 Posts: 160
    Canyon 7.9 AL amazing spec, I've ridden one and compared to bikes at similar value it's blows them away IMO
    Bikes:
    2013 Mondraker Dune XR - XX1 XO1 Hope, Easton Carbon, Fox
    Voodoo Bizango XT - Hope, Pikes, Mavic
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Mattcee wrote:
    I posted an earlier thread about should I buy a hardtail but the bike I was going to buy was 27.5" and would cost to much for my liking.

So now I'm after a 29" hardtail thats designed for XC (no downhill), very light trails, tarmac and bridalways.

Budget around £1000 or so and needs to have a decent frame as don't mind upgrading components later.
    I had my eye on a Haibike freed but they seem few and far between on where to buy them.

Any other suggestions on what to get?

Have you though of CX/Adventure/any other meaningless in term Bikes? I have a cheap CX it does make for a very all roads (groan) bike in that you can loop together bridalways and lanes. I find the bits it really struggles with are very steep be that down or up, rocky is still rideable but needs somewhat less speed and more care.

Does as ever depend on what your riding, I have a Trance for bigger stuff, and it's a fantastic bike, but it's overkill for say a blast down some smoother trails etc.
  • shawny
    shawny Posts: 33
    Love my Xtc Advanced should find one 2nd hand for that price, as for fast, that's down to training ;-)
  • Parkwood
    Parkwood Posts: 15
    On One Parkwood, my 29er surprised me how light it was once built, I have used hope hubs and built my own wheel using alloy nipples etc. You could do this at a later date if cost is an issue.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it fits, the Cube Reaction HPA Pro is worth a look:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b67s155p ... RO-29-2015

Is a racy, xc focused bike, but that seems to fit your bill - some great kit too for £900.