National Champs 2016 ***Spoliers***

Shadowrider
Shadowrider Posts: 483
edited June 2016 in Pro race
One of my favorite weeks of the year for some reason.

Many going on over the next week.

Luke Rowe confirmed because of Tour place he won't race British road race, so I assume Stannard and G are the same.

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    what was wrong with this one? viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13066275
  • Shadowrider
    Shadowrider Posts: 483
    Sorry Dish Dash I had a search for it and nothing returned.

Can a Mod close this thread?
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Didn't Kennaugh, Rowe, Stannard, Yates and Cav all do it last year as well as the tour?

I'd like to see Owain Doull have a shot this year although I'd imagine track training has hampered his road chances, not even sure if he is riding it.

Is there a start list?

Edit - having done some googling to see who is riding I'd say If the sky TdF boys don't ride then Swift or Cav's to lose. Maybe Opie with an outside chance if his team want to work as a unit for him to nab the jersey for the team, be great publicity.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Sorry Dish Dash I had a search for it and nothing returned.

that's the spoiler thread - we were missing a spolier thread so thanks for getting it started
  • stanislav
    stanislav Posts: 1,151
    Time trial tonight for the men on an uninteresting out and back course from town centre to Ingleby Barwick,The largest housing estate in Europe is its claim to fame.
    Stockton is my home town so good to see a major event here but they could of come up with a better course for the road race,Basically the last 25 mile is a town centre crit on more or Less flat roads,Clearly the council want to showcase the town but it's not exactly the place of stunning architecture .
    Having rode the country course on Sunday those expecting a bunch sprint may be disappointed,Ten laps of this will get rid of a lot of the riders,Mostly up and down for its entirety with a tricky descent coming out of Thorpe Thewels.Could be a smaller group getting away here and contesting the win
    PTP winner 2015.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Nationals is very rarely if ever anything close to a bunch sprint, with less sky riders than previous year it will be interesting to see in any of the domestic teams or One Pro manage to get numbers in the break/split or if it will be one or two riders from most teams and a war of attrition
  • stanislav
    As usual if sky make it hard a small group will get away,It will depend how many can stay with with them.
    PTP winner 2015.
  • stanislav
    Alex Peters and Andy Fenn only riders taking part for sky,Should make the race more open
    PTP winner 2015.
  • stanislav
    Double post
    PTP winner 2015.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I hope the road race is won by a World Tour rider, it would be a shame if the champs jersey ends up rolling around in Premier Calendar races again.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Pross wrote:
    I hope the road race is won by a World Tour rider, it would be a shame if the champs jersey ends up rolling around in Premier Calendar races again.
    if a conti rider does win whats the chances they get picked up by at least a pro conti team, prob one pro?
  • Pross wrote:

If WT teams won't properly support this year's Champs, then personally I have no problem with the bands being worn by a rider from a lower-tier. Preferably JLT-Condor.
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Traditionally the races have been blown apart by the stronger guys on sections of the course that provide some degree of difficulty. This is the "softest" course for a decade, so that approach will be more difficult particularly as the sharp end has been reduced by withdrawals.The domestic teams and ONE have much bigger squads than has been the case in previous years (8-12+ riders in many cases), so they should have plenty of fresh riders to throw in as needed. The issue for the domestic teams may be the distance, which may be short compared to some other leading countries, but 5 hours may still be a test for lads who have been forced to ride crits all summer to secure ToB entry. ONE do not have this problem and have had a good race program, so should be in a better position to control things. Probably the most open race for many years.
    I'm just hoping for gale force winds to liven the course up and make it a tough race with a deserving winner.
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    lyn1 wrote:
    Traditionally the races have been blown apart by the stronger guys on sections of the course that provide some degree of difficulty. This is the "softest" course for a decade, so that approach will be more difficult particularly as the sharp end has been reduced by withdrawals.The domestic teams and ONE have much bigger squads than has been the case in previous years (8-12+ riders in many cases), so they should have plenty of fresh riders to throw in as needed. The issue for the domestic teams may be the distance, which may be short compared to some other leading countries, but 5 hours may still be a test for lads who have been forced to ride crits all summer to secure ToB entry. ONE do not have this problem and have had a good race program, so should be in a better position to control things. Probably the most open race for many years.
    I'm just hoping for gale force winds to liven the course up and make it a tough race with a deserving winner.

Please no! I am going to spectate and this would just be terrible!
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Saramontins, sixth consecutive second place finish in the Latvian time trials. Possibly the only thing of note.
This discussion has been closed.