Video editing software

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited June 2016 in The cake stop
Can anyone recommend some video editing software. Thinking of taking more video, rather than photos on holiday, but would like something to edit them together rather than having a folder of 10 or so separate videos. Laptop runs Windows 10, any ideas?

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    If it's a Go Pro, their software is very good actually (apart from the lack of transitions). Other than that there are several options of increasing complexity. I saw a few "top 10" lists when I was looking for some but came back to the GoPro software.

What you'll learn very quickly is that editing is a real skill! :shock:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't have a Go Pro.
  • ddraver
    iMovie, Windows media player are probably the easiest places to start.

it depends how technical you want to get really.

Just to cut and combine a few clips with a music track they will be fine.
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    OK, cool. I'll take a look at those.
  • ddraver
    Biggest tip?

Cut, cut, cut...and then cut some more. Any spare footage before or after the "event" you ve filmed needs to go.
    - @ddraver
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - you'll soon learn that Hi-Res is a PITA because video editing makes your PC grunt. But the advice above is great - biking footage gets very boring very quickly.

Another to consider is Adobe Premiere Elements is pretty good if you're prepared to spend some money.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • greasedscotsman
    Thanks for all the tips. I don't intend on taking any on bike footage. This is typical of what I take at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thegreasedscotsman
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    Sony Movie studio is useful, more features than the windows one but still very useable. It can be had for about £30 of ebay. It might take a little bit of researching to learn the features but its worth it in my opinion.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I picked up Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10 off Amazon for £25. You can download a full trial version but will only last 30 days.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    With each of the programs recommended, it's worth looking on YouTube to see the extent of the tuition videos available - they make the world of difference to getting the best out of these programs if you're doing anything more than just the most simple things.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    With each of the programs recommended, it's worth looking on YouTube to see the extent of the tuition videos available - they make the world of difference to getting the best out of these programs if you're doing anything more than just the most simple things.

If there's something I want to do with Sony Vegas Youtube is my port of call but the search terms need to be accurate.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Yup - you'll soon learn that Hi-Res is a PITA because video editing makes your PC grunt. But the advice above is great - biking footage gets very boring very quickly.

Another to consider is Adobe Premiere Elements is pretty good if you're prepared to spend some money.

As above, whatever software you choose, make sure your laptop meets the minimum hardware requirements. Even then, it could be a slow process to make videos!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ddraver
    Check the thread start date...
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    ddraver said:

Did they have videos back then?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    ddraver said:

Spam I'm guessing, didn't risk the link.
  • ddraver
    It must have been posted on the one day I actually used my GoPro... 🙄
    - @ddraver
  • briantrumpet
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

Actually the general xp-pen site looks legit - they sell tablets n stuff, and there's a 'community' tab on that, which I imagine is the forum, where discussing video software would seem to be appropriate.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208

Pross said:

ddraver said:

Actually the general xp-pen site looks legit - they sell tablets n stuff, and there's a 'community' tab on that, which I imagine is the forum, where discussing video software would seem to be appropriate.
    Someone plugging the website then, bit of an odd first post otherwise.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Pross said:

ddraver said:

Might join the forum and start discussing bikes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Pross said:

Pross said:

ddraver said:

Indeed, anyone signing up to a forum to add a link on a 5 year old thread must have a vested interest.
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

Pross said:

ddraver said:

Indeed, anyone signing up to a forum to add a link on a 5 year old thread must have a vested interest.

Yes, all a bit bizarre, but not malicious, as far as I can see. Maybe they've just got a perma-search set up for "video editing software", and they join & post forums for marketing, without researching how big the targeted forum is. Obviously CS is mahoosive...
  • What is the easiest video editing software for Mac?
  • it depends on where mac lives and what mac wants to use the videos for.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    edited September 2021

What is the easiest video editing software for Mac?

Well, Macs come preloaded with iMovie so that would be a free starting point.
    Photos edits video too. Mostly depends on what you are trying to achieve*.

*Other than selling something.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Yes, you can start video editing with iMovie. It's free and easy to use. But you can't use iMovie professionally.
  • Davinci resolve.
  • ddraver
    The zombie troll thread just won't die...
    - @ddraver