Big Phone, Jersey Pocket

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited June 2016 in Road general
Anyone ever lost one out of a pocket?

Like many I'm sure, I always carry a phone in case of emergency on a ride. I've been happily carrying my 4.5" smartphone without incident for the last few years, but it's on its way out now, and its possible successor is a 5.5" model. Fine with that...but I've got the fear a larger phone is going to sit quite large in a jersey pocket and possibly jump out if I hit a big bump.

Anyone carrying a larger phone while riding? Any issues?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have an S6. It's fine. If it worries you, get a burner phone ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you're worried, use something like the Lezyne Caddy Sack as that tends to 'grab' the pocket more that an phone on it's own. Maybe even just an old sock?
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I have an S6 and put a grippy bumper thingy on it when it's in my pocket. Most of my jerseys have zipped pockets so I put it in those, but even without a zip it's fine.
  • 2plus2
    Heh, funny enough I had considered a cheap second phone, one with proper buttons and as small as possible. Good shout on the sock though, I think I'll see how I get on with that.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have an iphone 6+, I bung it in a sandwich bag with some kitchen roll and then stuff it in the middle pocket, never had an issue and most of my jerseys have pretty shallow pockets. (Danny Shane, Endura WT Race Jersey etc)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I cannot understand buying a phone that does not comfortably fit in a pocket.
    But hey, that's just me.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    Nexus 6 here, never had a problem and it measures a whopping 6.27 x 3.27 x 0.40 inches (159.26 x 82.98 x 10.06 mm). :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You do use some kind of 'protection' don't you ? I'd not put a non waterproof phone in a pocket that is either gonna get sweaty or wet.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    2plus2 wrote:
    Heh, funny enough I had considered a cheap second phone, one with proper buttons and as small as possible.

Exactly why my "cycling" phone is a PAYG Nokia 130 - standby time measured in weeks. Cost me £9 new. If I lose it, I'll be down £9 plus the £5 PAYG credit on there.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    iPhone 5 in Topeak Tribag works well. Avoids sweaty back syndrome too. And still have room for some money, a credit card and a couple of gels/snacks.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Exactly why my "cycling" phone is a PAYG Nokia 130 - standby time measured in weeks. Cost me £9 new. If I lose it, I'll be down £9 plus the £5 PAYG credit on there.

I have a PAYG Nokia for cycling for similar reasons. I bought it with £10 credit in March 2014 and I still have £7.46 credit left.
  • 2plus2
    Fenix wrote:
    You do use some kind of 'protection' don't you ? I'd not put a non waterproof phone in a pocket that is either gonna get sweaty or wet.

Usually just stick phone in freezer bag then into pocket. Using a Moto G just now anyway, which isn't technically specified as waterproof, but I have heard reports of people submerging it without ill effect. Personally I've rinsed it under the tap before and it's been fine.
  • 2plus2
    2plus2 wrote:
    Heh, funny enough I had considered a cheap second phone, one with proper buttons and as small as possible.

I actually really like the look of that phone...you might have swayed me there.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    2plus2 wrote:
    2plus2 wrote:

I actually really like the look of that phone...you might have swayed me there.

Standby is something like 36 days! £4.99 here http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 627112.htm (plus £10 top up required). You will find that the PAYG sim card is set to use your £10 top up for a monthly 'pack' by default and you have to get them to remove the pack and go back to straightforward PAYG - I found this easiest at an EE store.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My S7 fits in my jersey pocket with no issue, only issue I had with it so far was when we rode across the Transporter Bridge in Newport and the camera lens was fogged up and gave me an Instagram type filter.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I started a similar thread recently:
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13065147