Glue or tape tubulars?

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited June 2016 in Road general
Glue or tape tubulars? Will be riding in the Alps...

Comments

• jimwalsh
    jimwalsh Posts: 113
    glue is faster (speed wise)

tape is easier to change if you flat.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Glue. Take a spare pre glued tub and a single tube of Mastik in case you have to do a full change back at the hotel. Take a bottle of Tufo Extreme too.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    ^^^ this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Tape. Have done the Alps with taped tubs with no issues. Much easier, less mess. Use Jantex 14 for carbon rims. Really very sticky indeed, and stays on the rim for tub changes if needed. +1 for the Tufo sealant and/or Pit Stop, too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tape maybe easier but at the side of the road you wish you had glued. If you flat and have properly glued your tub you can remove the punctured tub and fit the pre glued spare in minutes, inflate and ride knowing it will be properly secure. With tape you might have to retape at the road side and if it is wet you might wish you had glued.

glue is not even that much slower. Glued a tub earlier this week in about 10 minutes it was on inflated and ready to ride (swapping tyres about so I put fresh glue on to be sure of a good bond). raced on it last night and the bond is good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Glue. If they're in regular use, preventative sealant and a spare you hope you won't need.
  • So to summarise all the above, there isn't much difference between either.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mct88
    mct88 Posts: 36
    I've got both Tufo sealant and Vittoria pit stop. Luckily haven't had to use either to date.

Anyone offer up experience / preference/ wisdom having used both?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Rarely pucture a tub and when i normally change the tub then see if sealant fixes the problem at home if so i remount that tub and ride it till it dies.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,438
    mct88 wrote:
    I've got both Tufo sealant and Vittoria pit stop. Luckily haven't had to use either to date.

my experience...

tufo extreme sealant works
    vittoria pitstop doesn't work

this is with veloflex tubs, i only use sealant if there's a puncture

the tufo sealant definitely has a relatively short shelf life, over time it tends to set in the bottle and clog the nozzle, keep the twist-tie that holds the core tool on the bottle as you can use it to clear the nozzle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    sungod wrote:
    mct88 wrote:

my experience...

tufo extreme sealant works
    vittoria pitstop doesn't work

this is with veloflex tubs, i only use sealant if there's a puncture

the tufo sealant definitely has a relatively short shelf life, over time it tends to set in the bottle and clog the nozzle, keep the twist-tie that holds the core tool on the bottle as you can use it to clear the nozzle

The trick is not to keep a bottle of Tufo (used or unused) exposed to daylight as it seems to react and get a bit solid. I've still got a half used bottle from last year that's doing fine.
  • 964cup
    If you use the right tape, you don't need to retape at the roadside (not that that takes very long) because the tape stays attached to the rim (e.g. Jantex 14). If you're using Jantex 76, fit your spare, then remove it - the tape will come with it and stay sticky enough to get you home. I've had to change tubs on a ride about five times in the last three years, with no issues, taped every time.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I started using this and carry a small bottle of sealant. Tufo or orange seal.
    http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/produc ... y/carogna/
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • 964Cup wrote:
    If you use the right tape, you don't need to retape at the roadside (not that that takes very long) because the tape stays attached to the rim (e.g. Jantex 14). If you're using Jantex 76, fit your spare, then remove it - the tape will come with it and stay sticky enough to get you home. I've had to change tubs on a ride about five times in the last three years, with no issues, taped every time.

This

Worst case take a length of pre-cut tape with you.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • 964cup
    Jantex 76 tears easily across (but like duct tape) so I wouldn't worry too much about pre-cutting to length.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    It depends on your tyre and wheel combo. I've glued well stretched Vittoria corsas onto a carbon rim with conti carbon glue before and made a solid bond, but when I tried with Conti sprinters even after a month of stretching the combination of thick glue and very tight tyre meant the glue was broken up just putting the tyre on, and the bond is really bad as a result and even rolled off the rim during a crash.
    The tufo taped tyre stayed on with no problems.

Tape all the way for me now, it's a lot more difficult to stuff up.

Edit: Tufo extreme sealant is great- I used it to repair a pinched tub (don't ask me how) that came with a borrowed disk wheel and haven't had any problems with it yet this season.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Correct me if I'm wrong but tape IS glue. Just a different way of applying it.
  • forestnot1
    forestnot1 Posts: 244
    Thanks all.

Using carbon rims with Vittoria cx tyres. Is Jantex 14 strong enough to take the heat of long twisty descents?
  • 964cup
    I'll tell you in a week or so. Off to the Alps next week; all three wheelsets are taped, two are carbon using 14, one is alloy using 76. If I'm still posting on the 10th, you can assume tape is ok.

(I will say I went well over 100km/h last time out, coming down the CdF, and that was on alloy rims with 76, and I'm still here - but it was cold and wet, so perhaps not a fair test)