Pedals

Rez 27.5
Rez 27.5 Posts: 21
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all. Im looking for a new set of pedals for my Sommet VR.

Any recommendations? Nothing to elite, or plastic and I dont favour clips.

Just a half decent set that would perhaps compliment the bike.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Superstar Nano X or Shimano Saints, both under £40 or much cheaper if you wait for the deals.
  • Rez 27.5
    Thanks man. Ill have a look.
  • Rez 27.5
    Thanks man. Ill take a look.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo MG1, lighter magnesium goodness.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Why dont you want plastic pedals? The Nukeproof Electron Evos on my Giant are very good.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I like saints and have them on three of my bikes. I've got electrons as well - they are positively charged!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • JGTR
    FishFish wrote:
    I've got electrons as well - they are positively charged!

I hope not or the whole universe be would explode :shock: Electrons are negatively charged :roll:

(although I do appreciate that wouldn't sound as good :lol: )
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Also got Saints, really good pedals and can be found cheap if you shop around (think I paid £26).
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Briggo wrote:
    Why dont you want plastic pedals? The Nukeproof Electron Evos on my Giant are very good.

He's more than likely unaware that not all plastic pedals are shite.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    +1 for superstar pedals. Had mine for 2 years, bomb proof & cheap but most importantly they're actually just damn good
  • Rez 27.5
    Briggo wrote:

Yeah man, fair point, there just the ones that came with the bike, so I'm on the look out for a bit of an upgrade. I wear vans on, and just today felt myself slip a tad here and there.
  • Rez 27.5
    Briggo wrote:

He's more than likely unaware that not all plastic pedals are shite.

Very true.
  • Angus Young
    Rez 27.5 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Yeah man, fair point, there just the ones that came with the bike, so I'm on the look out for a bit of an upgrade. I wear vans on, and just today felt myself slip a tad here and there.

The ones that come with bikes are useless and only there for the sake of it. Pedals are usually very much a matter of preference so they don't bother putting on anything you'd actually want to use as that's the first thing most people change. The Electrons mentioned are very good and a good price, too. The Superstars are a bit of a no-brainer as they'll not hear a bod word about them. The Saints are excellent, too, but a little heavier.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Rez 27.5 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

The ones that come with bikes are useless and only there for the sake of it. Pedals are usually very much a matter of preference so they don't bother putting on anything you'd actually want to use as that's the first thing most people change. The Electrons mentioned are very good and a good price, too. The Superstars are a bit of a no-brainer as they'll not hear a bod word about them. The Saints are excellent, too, but a little heavier.

To be fair I don't think he or 99% of this forum are at a point where the saving of 54g is going to be overly beneficial to their riding.... I'd say don't worry overly about weight and just find something you like the look of/reviews of and have a punt, you can't go wrong with any of the different types listed earlier in the thread.

Also, it might be worth looking into some decent mountain bike shoes as although I'm a fan of Vans they are a world apart from things like 5:10s.
  • JGTR
    Agree about the shoes, my Nanos were very disappointing with Vans but with 5:10s they were amazing
  • Rez 27.5
    Nice one chaps... Will have a look at some new kicks and these saints. Obvs they'll just go on to my sommet as normal. I assume so.
  • JGTR
    Rez 27.5 wrote:
    Nice one chaps... Will have a look at some new kicks and these saints. Obvs they'll just go on to my sommet as normal. I assume so.

Yep as normal
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    The Saints are excellent, too, but a little heavier.

To be fair I don't think he or 99% of this forum are at a point where the saving of 54g is going to be overly beneficial to their riding....
    Must put me in the 1%....while I don't sacrifice function adding circa 15% of the weight to every component would seriously affect riding, so why only look at one component in isolation.
    JGTR wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    I've got electrons as well - they are positively charged!

I hope not or the whole universe be would explode :shock: Electrons are negatively charged :roll:

(although I do appreciate that wouldn't sound as good :lol: )
    That's only because we got the naming convention wrong when it was first applied!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    The Rookie wrote:
    Must put me in the 1%....while I don't sacrifice function adding circa 15% of the weight to every component would seriously affect riding, so why only look at one component in isolation.

That's it. Makes no difference component by component in isolation but add it up across the bike and it starts to count.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Saints also have a smaller platform compared to a lot of their price competitors, shorter pins (unless you remove the washers to expose more of them), thicker body and worse bearings. That said the body is tough, but not a pedal I'd recommend when Nanos and V12 (new) can be had for the same cash.
  • midgehulluk
    midgehulluk Posts: 195
    I use nuke proof electrons and moove pedals can't fault either of them. Moove pedals are still running like new two years down the line
  • Rez 27.5
    The v12's look mint, and from what I've read they perform too. Lime green works with my VR. Favoring them for some reason.