St Andrews - Bicycle Friendly University

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited June 2016 in Road general
I'm sure other institutions do a similar thing, but on a recent trip to my alma mater St Andrews (and best University ever!), I was very impressed to see these dotted about the campus, mostly by the (usually covered) bike racks at the Halls.

image.jpgprint screen windows 7

image.jpgimgurl

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    While it's a nice idea, I've seen the bikes ridden in St Andrews by the students and I bet these 'stations' never get used. Spokes make a killing from changing flat tyres for Tabitha and Tarquin.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've seen stands like that at tube stations. blackheath I think ?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    While it's a nice idea, I've seen the bikes ridden in St Andrews by the students and I bet these 'stations' never get used. Spokes make a killing from changing flat tyres for Tabitha and Tarquin.

Yea, I agree, but it's a great idea and demonstrates a commitment to and an investment in cycle commuting about the town.

As a cyclist, I naturally pass an eye over every bike I see and despite seeing literally hundreds parked up everywhere, I'd say less than 5% appeared to be in any way maintained. Rusty chains were the norm and I imagine most of the young students wouldn't have a clue how to do any mechanical work as they aren't "cyclists" anyway, just students using bikes purely to commute.

Anyway, I still thought it was a great idea, though it'll take a month to rust / weather etc with those open cabinets!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I'll be happy as long as there's one next to Janetta's
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bompington wrote:

Why? Do you normally suffer deflations after visiting her?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    bompington wrote:

Ha! Great coffee, nice benches for people watching but FFS those cakes are awful. Unless you're there for the ice cream?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Well, people have been known to go there for ice cream...
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    They were fund raising to set up one of these at Southampton University last summer. To donate money you had to set up a special social media account and donate through that. As a cycling member of staff, I was happy to give money, but not to have to set up a new social media account and link my finances to it. So I emailed the organisers to ask how else I could give money. They told me that there was no alternative route.

I didn't give any money.

The pump and tools station weren't built.