Best value deep rims

Lifeboy123
Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
What are the best value deep rims for under £500 ?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Chinese ones.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Chinese ones.

Agree completely: Carbonzone off the 'Bay. 3rd year of running mine now,commuting, training, racing, never had a problem.

Something like £280 for the tubular 60s at the mo' which are the ones you want.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Chinese ones.

Agree completely: Carbonzone off the 'Bay. 3rd year of running mine now,commuting, training, racing, never had a problem.

What sort of costs did you end up paying? VAT, import etc? TIA.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    carbonzone eh, ok. will look them up. was going to bite the bullet on some farsports kit.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I had one set through with nothing to pay, must have lucky though as next set was extra £55 IIRC which is a Parcelforce handling fee plus import duty.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    Thanks, what is the quality of the hubs like and can you de-sticker these easy ?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Most don't come with stickers.
    Get Novatec hubs and you'll be fine, spares are readily available. Probably not going to last 10k miles maintenance free like a Dura Ace hub but its a lot lighter and a tenth of the price.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Matt_N wrote:
    Gethinceri wrote:
    Chinese ones.

What sort of costs did you end up paying? VAT, import etc? TIA.

I get everything sent to work so we pay nothing - sorry that I can't be of more help. Rubbish answer I know.

I know that some people get charged, some don't: Carbonzone are really good though as they put a "nil value - commercial SAmple" price on the box.

HTH.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • farsports
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    Been looking at giving a chinese set a go myself, are farsports the people to go with?

So far I've looked at deng fu, hong fu, yoeleo

And DT350 hubs vs Novatec?
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    i have a wheels built using light-bicycle 35mm 'u' shaped carbon clincher rims and would recommend them. Cost was about £300 for a pair of rims including c£80 import duty.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Or you could buy carbon rims from DCR for 180 quid a pop, that way you're buying from a reputable UK supplier and have the back up of a decent guarantee.
  • jon33 wrote:
    Been looking at giving a chinese set a go myself, are farsports the people to go with?

There are other Chinese wheels out there that are probably cheaper, but at face-value it seemed to me that Farsports have one of the best reputations. And after much too much time spent googling decided Farsports offered the best value.

Could've gone with DT Swiss, hubs but I eventually plummed for the 50mm deep 25mm U-shaped rims with Novatec hubs from Farsports. Good communication from Windy. Wheels couriered out within 4 days from placement of order via EMS. Emails promptly answered and finally an emailto ask if I was happy with wheels upon delivery.

Having ridden them for a month now I am pleased with my purchase. I know they are not Zipps, (though the rim profile is remarkably similar to the 404s, but cost a quarter of the cheapest Zipps I could get m hands on.

Factor in the, 'don't buy, what you cannot afford to replace', tand if I get two seasons of racing out of them then I'll be more than happy and consider the cost outlay as value for money. One note. UK Customs held on to them for a bit too long (14 days, but that is just my impatience) but on the plus side I only paid £27 import duty / tax.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Tubeless-ready-50mm-carbon-clincher-wheelset-25mm-wide-for-road-bike-700C-racing-bicycle-wheelset-20H/117783_32568272548.html

(Edit.Just noticed this link is for the tubeless version, I went for standard clincher in the end, as Windy said, easier to maintain if in the unlikely event I snap a spoke).

This was Windy's email address that I used. sales6@farsports.cn.

Specify exactly what rims, spokes and hubs you want and see what she comes back with. Nothing ventured and all that..
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    jon33 wrote:

There are other Chinese wheels out there that are probably cheaper, but at face-value it seemed to me that Farsports have one of the best reputations. And after much too much time spent googling decided Farsports offered the best value.

Could've gone with DT Swiss, hubs but I eventually plummed for the 50mm deep 25mm U-shaped rims with Novatec hubs from Farsports. Good communication from Windy. Wheels couriered out within 4 days from placement of order via EMS. Emails promptly answered and finally an emailto ask if I was happy with wheels upon delivery.

Having ridden them for a month now I am pleased with my purchase. I know they are not Zipps, (though the rim profile is remarkably similar to the 404s, but cost a quarter of the cheapest Zipps I could get m hands on.

Factor in the, 'don't buy, what you cannot afford to replace', tand if I get two seasons of racing out of them then I'll be more than happy and consider the cost outlay as value for money. One note. UK Customs held on to them for a bit too long (14 days, but that is just my impatience) but on the plus side I only paid £27 import duty / tax.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Tubeless-ready-50mm-carbon-clincher-wheelset-25mm-wide-for-road-bike-700C-racing-bicycle-wheelset-20H/117783_32568272548.html

(Edit.Just noticed this link is for the tubeless version, I went for standard clincher in the end, as Windy said, easier to maintain if in the unlikely event I snap a spoke).

This was Windy's email address that I used. sales6@farsports.cn.

Specify exactly what rims, spokes and hubs you want and see what she comes back with. Nothing ventured and all that..

Thanks for that reply, really helpful! Any particular reason you went for novatec over dt hubs?

Cheers
  • I simply googled the whole subject of carbon wheels to death. In making my final decision I decided the DT Swiss hubs were not best value.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • HD101
    HD101 Posts: 28
    Have some Superstar 46's - UK based company (Lincoln I think) - supposedly rebadged Reynolds wheels (possibly older design ie 2013).They do 60mm depth too. I found them to be really good once the LBS had sorted out the spoke tensions.
    Hope that helps.
  • agree with colinsmith123- farsport are very helpful .. Windy in particular,,
    consider edhub options with ceramic bearing, very light, very smooth ( at least mine are)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    neither are the novatec hubs good value. They are light but bearing life is short. Race day hubs only really. Miche hubs will serve you better. Da hubs are just expensive now and 10,000 miles is not alot. A carbon rim can do 4 times that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    neither are the novatec hubs good value. They are light but bearing life is short. Race day hubs only really. Miche hubs will serve you better. Da hubs are just expensive now and 10,000 miles is not alot. A carbon rim can do 4 times that.

Are the DA hubs alright for autumn/winter use if serviced before and after that time of year?
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Or you could buy carbon rims from DCR for 180 quid a pop, that way you're buying from a reputable UK supplier and have the back up of a decent guarantee.

Some Chinese supplier have a good reputation.Your suggestion is that a UK warranty trumps the actual product. DCR rims are not Farsport rims.

If you want to buy cheap, you may as well buy from the source, you get more for your money
    left the forum March 2023
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    HD101 wrote:
    Have some Superstar 46's - UK based company (Lincoln I think) - supposedly rebadged Reynolds wheels (possibly older design ie 2013).They do 60mm depth too. I found them to be really good once the LBS had sorted out the spoke tensions.
    Hope that helps.

Not sure they carry the 46's any longer I had a quick nose an cant see them That said I have a set of 38's just before Christmas for £90. Like you said bar the spoke tensions I cannot fault them.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you can cope with an alloy rim and carbon fairings - planet x do some for £500 - get reasonable reviews and uk warranty......if you get clobbered for tax they are probably pretty close price wise to the ebay ones..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Da hubs are very pricey now unless you are looking at pre brexit atock. Service them every 5000 miles or before every winter and they will be fine. You could be more fastidous and service them before and after winter. they are however not good value but if you take care of them they will do steller mileage.

The hubsni like the most are miche primato's the set in have in my race wheels which have been used in all weathers have 9000+ miles on them and the bearings are fine. i never give them tlc and never wash them. My experience is typical. change the bearings when they wear out and they will do the same mileage again. RRp is £82 thats good value. The problem for all other hubs is these exist. more expensive hubs are just lighter and prettier.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DA hubs, or Shimano hubs in general are brilliant if you're prepared to put the effort in to maintain them. They do cost more, and weigh more, and if you banjax them there's no easy way to make them right. Novatec and similar won't outlast them, but they're easier to fix. You pay your money...