Rockrider 540 2016

Mabby
Mabby Posts: 8
edited June 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi am new to mtb I have just got my self a rock rider 540 from decathlon now I have few small issues the shop/website says it has got Hayes radar disc brakes, but mine has not got the crosshairs adjustment screws that the radars have, also how long do they take to bed in as they feel very spongy thanks dan

Comments

• Mabby
    Anybody
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Website says Tektro Auriga Comp brakes, not Hayes? Advise you speak direct to the shop if you have evidence that it was advertised differently.

Pads will take a short while to bed in but you can speed it up by hitting a decent hill at speed and applying the brakes firmly (and controlled) to bring you to a solid stop. Then get back up the hill and do it again, and again. Personally I repeat circa 10 times. The brakes at this level aren't going to offer huge stopping power or modulation so the spongy feel may remain OR they may benefit from a bleed. Take it back to the shop with all your queries if I were you.
  • Mabby
    Have you got link to where abouts it says tektro aurigra comps,

This is the bike I have
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-54 ... 50454.html
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Ahh, I see now. The tektros are on the 26" 540 whereas the Hayes are specced on the 27.5" 540.
  • Mabby
    So does any one know why the ones from decathlon have not got the crosshair adjustment on them and why the levers are different
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Do they look like the levers shown in the Decathlon product page image, or the ones shown on the Hayes Radar page (https://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/products/brakes/radar/) - clearly there are two different versions out there it seems.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Mabby
    They are defo not like the ones on the Hayes radar website, are there two types of the Hayes radar then and how go on when need new pads and bleed kit?
  • larkim
    I think it would be helpful if you posted pics of the levels and calipers that you do have so we can see what you are comparing with.
  • larkim
    Perhaps Hayes do an OEM lever and caliper, sell it only to manufacturers etc.
  • larkim
    This picture (from the 540 product page) doesn't show the grub screw adjustments on the caliper which I am presuming is the "crosshair" adjustment feature. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/media/835/83 ... 93882a.jpg

So it looks like there are two versions of the Hayes Radar calipers. One with crosshair adjs, and one without.

This is also backed up by looking on the Hayes website for the installation manual which you can see https://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-conte ... all_EN.pdf

On this there are two caliper installation sections - one described as "Mounting Caliper (Crosshair equipped calipers)" and the other as "Mounting the Caliper (For calipers without Crosshair)"

Hope this helps!
  • Mabby
    Thank you i think your right there is two types, so as for bleed kit and pads they will be the same as the normal radars only diff been the crosshair part
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yep.

Its not unusual to come across parts on OEM bikes that are different from the nominally the same after market part, but in this case it seems Hayes genuinely market two different versions.

I have Formula R1S brakes, they are a mix of an R1 lever and an RX calliper and only available as OEM fit, Lapierre used them a lot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mabby
    Thank you so much. Just recovering from surgery at mo so can't get out and ride at mo and bed these brakes in lol thank you all the help