Probably a stupid question

lincolndave
lincolndave Posts: 9,441
edited June 2016 in Road general
But I'm going to ask it anyway, does anyone else rotate their tyres over from front wheel to the rear, and visa versa, so they wear down equally ?
If so how many miles do you change them over at?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not personally cos CBA but some people do.

Milage would depend on too many factors to make it useful.

I'd just assess by sight to see if the rear was starting to wear more.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have swapped front and rear once or twice (separate tyres) to even out the wear. Did it about half way through their life.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Isn't the idea when rear is worn - replace rear with front and new tyre goes on front where best grip is needed.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My tyres are slick - I don't think it works like that...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I've thought about doing it but never actually bothered - maybe I should do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Dinyull wrote:
    Isn't the idea when rear is worn - replace rear with front and new tyre goes on front where best grip is needed.

Yes it probably is the right idea, but I wondered if for example, some cyclists changed them over at every 500/ 800 miles, I put a pair of conti,s on mine and I noticed how much
    the rear tyre had worn compaired to the front tyre,
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dinyull wrote:

Bingo.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dinyull wrote:

Yes it probably is the right idea, but I wondered if for example, some cyclists changed them over at every 500/ 800 miles, I put a pair of conti,s on mine and I noticed how much
    the rear tyre had worn compaired to the front tyre,

Not necessary, for the reason dinyull stated.
  • drlodge
    4 ways I can think of approaching this:
    - swap front/rear tyres quite frequently to even out the wear. Rather pointless IMO
    - swap front/rear tyres approx. half way through the life, that way you get maximum wear out of both, and they both expire at the same time.
    - move front to rear, replace front with new, as explained above
    - replace tyres as they become worn, typically rear last half the life of the front so replace the rear and when 2nd rear is expired, both will then need replacing. May do this with my tubeless tyres.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    drlodge wrote:
    - replace tyres as they become worn, typically rear last half the life of the front so replace the rear and when 2nd rear is expired, both will then need replacing. May do this with my tubeless tyres.
    Some people sell motorcycle tyres in sets of three at a discounted rate, 2 rears and a front of course, for this very reason.
    I swapped mine front to back when giving the bike a once over and noticed the rear was more worn than the front. Rear was rather over half worn, now it's on the front the other may well catch up or even pass it before they are both done for.
  • drlodge
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I swapped mine front to back when giving the bike a once over and noticed the rear was more worn than the front. Rear was rather over half worn, now it's on the front the other may well catch up or even pass it before they are both done for.

Exactly what I did on my Pro4 SC clad wheels. Tubeless don't like being changed so much (with all that milk 'n' stuff) hence the "motorbike" option is preferred there.
    Find me on Strava
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Dinyull wrote:

Certainly what I do....

Can't see the sense in swapping them when half-worn - not sure I'd want a reasonably worn, squared off tyre on the front....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I just replace a tyre when it is reached end of life, it doesn't matter which end it was on. I don't bother swapping ends etc.
  • Doni101
    Doni101 Posts: 1
    I've replaced rear (when worn) with front and then put the new tyre on the front. No problems. Personal preference really.
  • HD101
    HD101 Posts: 28
    As above
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +5. Whichever tyre's just worn out I always* stick the new tyre on the front since that's where most of the braking / steering happens. If you're going to have a suddenly flat tyre on a steep descent, you'd rather it was the rear. Well I was on Saturday!

*although I've just buggered up this arrangement on my CR1 by having a 23mm tyre on the rear and a 25 on the front...