Dat shoe smell

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
Done over 10k in my shoes, and now every time it rains THAT shoe smell invariably follows...

Got any tips how to mitigate it?

Comments

• Petrol + matches
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anti-bacterial spray
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Nuke from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    dhope wrote:
    Nuke from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure

Why not indeed:

http://sentintospace.com/products-page/complete-kit/launch-advanced/#ad-image-0
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    THAT shoe smell we're all so familiar with is basically the smell of rotting sloughed-off skin permanently kept damp with rain, sweat and skin-oil, plus the volatile compounds produced by the bacteria as they feast on it all. Liberal inside-application of something like rubbing-alcohol (propanol - get it by the litre from Maplins or off the web) will temporarily kill off the bacteria. Unfortunately anything strong enough to completely get rid of the skin-slough is likely to destroy much of the shoe as well :cry:
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I'm thinking more a mixture of dogsh!t and rotten cabbage :)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've done a sports wash (eg Halo) powered machine washes on my shoes before on outdoor sports wash, followed by a day in bright sunlight. Seems to do the job.
    I've done this for a number of years on lots of artificial material shoes, not had any problems with them.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I've done a sports wash (eg Halo) powered machine washes on my shoes before on outdoor sports wash, followed by a day in bright sunlight. Seems to do the job.
    I've done this for a number of years on lots of artificial material shoes, not had any problems with them.

Me too - done this for years with trainers, hiking shoes, and cycling shoes; wouldnt do it with leather but anything else seems fine
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I don't suffer that badly but a good soak with the muc-off foam freshener seems to keep it down. Do the same with the helmet (no sniggering at the back) which helps for a while.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Halo Kit Refresher - https://www.merlincycles.com/halo-proac ... 75252.html - does the bizzo for me.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    imatfaal wrote:

Me too - done this for years with trainers, hiking shoes, and cycling shoes; wouldnt do it with leather but anything else seems fine

My shoes have a layer of wood. Not convinced it would be good for them.
  • mosheehan
    mosheehan Posts: 64
    Climbers have boot bananas that are fairly in expensive, have a lavender smell, and are generally used for the same purpose. My climbing shoes don't smell half as bad as they used to after a long sweaty climb
    The Monkeys are out to get me!
    Cannondale CaadX Tiagra Disc
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    stick them in the washing machine on a gentle programme. If you have cleats on them just put them inside pillow cases or cushion covers or summat.

Use plenty of conditioner and they will smell much better.
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    stick them in the washing machine on a gentle programme. If you have cleats on them just put them inside pillow cases or cushion covers or summat.

Use plenty of conditioner and they will smell much better.

No conditioned but that worked for me till a recent damp ride when I forgot to dry the shoes.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Had that, tried everything, never really went.

Bought new shoes.