Scott Spark 750 vs Scott Genius 750

veagnox
veagnox Posts: 77
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone. I'm new user here. So if I posted in wrong section, just excuse me. I'm also new to bike world. I have 2015 model CUBE Analog 27.5 and want to upgrade to full-suspension bike. Bikes of SCOTT Spark and Genius series has the shape I want. SCOTT is also one of my favourite brands, so please don't suggest me any other bike in same price range. But I want to know, if you going to buy one of these two bikes, which one would you prefer?

Spark 750 : http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... k-750-bike

Genius 750 : http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p ... -750-bike/

Waiting for your answers. Thanks for attention

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    edited June 2016
    Both are very poor for the price.
    If you must have Scott though, what sort of riding do you do? One is an xc race bike and the other is a trail bike.
    Don't think that because they're Scott that the frame is anything special. It's made in the same factory in Taiwan as Boardman, Carrera and loads of other brands. The suspension linkage design is nothing special, it's OK but FSR and Maestro designs are better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Decide how much suspension you want and pick that. No one can tell you which is better without knowing what you intend to ride.

But picking a bike on shape or specfic brand is a bit shortsighted maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veagnox
    Both are very poor for the price.
    If you must have Scott though, what sort of riding do you do? One is an xc race bike and the other is a trail bike.
    Don't think that because they're Scott that the frame is anything special. It's made in the same factory in Taiwan as Boardman, Carrera and loads of other brands. The suspension linkage design is nothing special, it's OK but FSR and Maestro designs are better.

Dear RockmonkeySC, thanks for your reply. I understand you, and I want to mention that yes, I really love suspension linkage design of these models and it is one of the biggest reasons I love these bikes. I ride XC more than trail. Sometimes I do trail riding, but 85% times XC. And one of reasons why I can't get bike from another brand, because of the country I live (Azerbaijan). We have no official bike shops for TREK, Giant, Santa Cruz or something like this. We can get only SCOTT, CANYON, CUBE, CANNONDALE (but I personally hate CANNONDALE as MTB brand). So can you suggest me more like XC full-suspension MTB for under 3.000$ price tag?
  • veagnox
    cooldad wrote:
    Decide how much suspension you want and pick that. No one can tell you which is better without knowing what you intend to ride.

But picking a bike on shape or specfic brand is a bit shortsighted maybe.

Dear cooldad, thanks for your reply. I ride mostly XC, but I also do some trail riding, so more travel would be so good. And let me what type of advice I need from users. SCOTT Spark 750 has 120mm front / 120mm rear shock, and SCOTT Genius has 140mm front / 150mm rear shock. The problem is, Spark's 120/120 suspension is branded by FOX (FOX 32 Float Performance Air at front, FOX Float Performance Elite at rear) and I know performance of FOX suspension shocks. But Genius's 140/150 suspension is branded by SRAM RockShox (RockShox Sector Silver TK Solo Air) and X-Fusion (X-Fusion Nude), and I don't know anything about performance of X-Fusion shocks. So I want advice from people who used both of FOX and X-Fusion shocks
  • rockmonkeysc
    Why do you like this linkage so much? It's not particularly efficient for xc.
    For XC Cube, Canyon and Canondale all make better bikes.
  • veagnox
    Why do you like this linkage so much? It's not particularly efficient for xc.
    For XC Cube, Canyon and Canondale all make better bikes.

Because I tested them nearly 2 months ago and they had superbly easy adjustable mechanism compared to others (maybe I'm just noob). It's good to hear that those brands are good enough. You making me change my decision. Can you suggest 2 models from Cube or Canyon for me? I really don't want CANNONDALE because of their ugly frame shape (of course as personal opinion). Please suggest a bike for 80% XC / 20% Trail - Under 2.000$, and another one for 80% Trail / 20% XC - Under 3000$. Please 27.5" models only. Waiting for your reply
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Cube ams, Cube stereo 120, Canyon Nerve...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Kickaxe wrote:

Yep, them. ^^^^^^^
  • veagnox
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Kickaxe wrote:

Yep, them. ^^^^^^^

Thanks to both of you guys :) I looked at bikes you said and I think CANYON NERVE AL 7.0 is good to go for 1,689$. But how you guys think, isn't CANYON SPECTRAL AL 5.0 is better for 190$ more (1,879$)? Here is the picture for quick comparison I made in paint :)
    21kiij7.png
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Not good for real XC, just ok. It's on the enduro side of trail as well, for what you have said I think the nerve would be better
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On most bikes the only adjustment of the rear suspension is in the shock, the shocks are generic and used across different bikes, so the adjustment in many cases will be the same.

There is a Decathlon store in Baku, check out what they do, some of the Decathlon bikes are really great value.
    http://www.gomap.az/Info/Description.as ... 287&lng=en
    If they do this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-74 ... 26407.html it has a similar look and rear suspension to the Scott,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veagnox
    Kickaxe wrote:
    Not good for real XC, just ok. It's on the enduro side of trail as well, for what you have said I think the nerve would be better

Thanks for help, I appreciate it so much :)
  • veagnox
    The Rookie wrote:
    On most bikes the only adjustment of the rear suspension is in the shock, the shocks are generic and used across different bikes, so the adjustment in many cases will be the same.

There is a Decathlon store in Baku, check out what they do, some of the Decathlon bikes are really great value.
    http://www.gomap.az/Info/Description.as ... 287&lng=en
    If they do this http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-74 ... 26407.html it has a similar look and rear suspension to the Scott,

Thanks for reply Mr. The Rookie. Yes we had Decathlon store in Baku, but they closed it last year for no reason at all. The map is not updated, that's why it still shows the store
  • veagnox
    So thanks to all of you guys, who tried to help me. I will go for CUBE Stereo 120 or CANYON NERVE 7.0 . I appreciate help from all of you. Thanks for attention and help :)