Tyres for fixie build

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited June 2016 in Road general
I am in the process of sourcing parts for my next fixie project and I need some advice on what tyres to fit. I am using a cinelli gazzetta frame and track miche wheels. I am thinking of 25 or 28 tyres . Will 28 look ok on track rims?ideally I would like gumwall to suit style of bike and will definitely need some puncture protection without being over heavy. I do however like thick slicks but don't know if they are any good. I have used vittora rubinos on previous builds which I like but fancy something different. I have also seen schwable delta cruiser are these any good.? Budget is 40 for pair any more and it would make more sense to fit my road bike with some vittoria corsa g+ isotec then use the tyres of that bike for the fixie. Has anyone used the corsa g+ I have heard they are like having your cake and eating it or though some say are prone to puncture. Decision s , decisions. Cheers.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Will 28 look ok on track rims?

Not sure what you mean by 'look ok'. If you are using track specific rims, these are unlikely to have a braking surface. So if you are building a 'fixie' as opposed to a track bike, these might not be the best choice anyway, especially if you want to use brakes n stuff...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Paul, you are opening lots of threads about this build, but I am not sure you are barking at the right tree. There is a forum called LFGSS (London fixed gear and single speed) which is the better place to ask about a fixie
    left the forum March 2023
  • Point taken .Thanks for the tip I will try other forum.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Best bet is LFGSS as there will be a lot more info on skid patches on tyres and gear ratios, some info below;
    http://www.bikecalc.com/skid_patch_calculator
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    It depends on what you mean by 'look ok' - as long as you aren't ruling out everything that you wouldn't find in a velodrome, then yes. If you are looking to skid, you will want thick tread; otherwise, just get normal road tyres.