Old shimano XT rear hub FH M750 - will a 9-speed cassette fit?

fudgey
fudgey Posts: 854
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Morning all, trying to build up a spare bike for this years Mountain Mayhem - entered solo for the 24h race this year.

Anyway, i have pulled the old GT Zaskar LE out of retirement and decided to rebuild it, i have an XT rear mech which is 9-speed, but the cassette on the wheel is an 8.
its from around 1995...

so need to order one sharpish

the free hub is 34mm, anyone know if a 9-speed cassette will fit?

Ta muchly.
My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...

Comments

• fudgey
    pretty sure it will, just after confirmation really!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    9 speed cassette will fit fine.

The mech will work with 8 speed as well using 8 speed shifters. The pull ratio of 7, 8 and 9 speed mechs is the same, so as long as they are matched with the right shifters, and have sufficient capacity, they'll all work with whatever speeds.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fudgey
    Nice one cheers. ill have to borrow shifters as i cant find my old ones... and the ones ill borrow are 9-speed so all good on that front too.

almost panic over so long as few bits i have ordered turn up tomorrow...

planned on using my full sus for it, but the weather has been awful and looks to carry on being wet so the hardtail may be a little easier to ride...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just noticed the MM bit. Good luck. I might enter if the change it to 24 minutes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fudgey
    Cheers.
    i have done it as a team of 4 the last two years, but this year only 3 of us confirmed so i suggested that as its only £5 more each, to ride solo... then another mate decided if we could ride together then he would enter too... so now 4 of use are riding solo. i very much doubt ill be able to ride for 24 hours, i usually get about 7 laps in so my theory being so long as i can do 8 laps, ill get my moneys worth haha
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good luck, 2 friends of mine are doing it solo, one won it last year and the other came 22nd, plus another friend is in a team with a realistic chance of winning their category (single speed).

I'll pass on some tips from my mate who did it solo last year for the first time
    1/ At the start, don't bother running for the bike, those few seconds gained put you in busy traffic so you gain little time for a reasonable amount of effort expended
    2/ By all means line up energy gels but also put aside some time for a proper meal (he did beans on toast or tinned soup) as it really lifts you if (when) you start to flag
    3/ Slow and steady will mean you can keep going much longer and further, he rides single speed and downgeared from a 16t rear to a 21t rear.
    4/ Fresh shorts, don't underestimate the psychological benefit of changing out of a sweaty clammy sticky set into some nice crisp dry shorts!
    5/ Try and keep enough in the tank to go out for a last lap ending just after the 24 hours is up, just for the fact you can say you did, you'll find a fair few soloers sat waiting near the finish line for the clock to tick over.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fudgey
    Thanks for the tips.

i cant run to save my life, so no danger of that!
    re food wise, i have stocked up on pot noodles/pasta shot things that only need hot water to make.
    will take a few energy gels but they usually give me bad guts... so try to avoid.
    i am taking all 4 pairs of my shorts and one pair of tights if its cold at night, the forecast keeps changing so its hit or miss what the conditions will be like. i also have 2 tubs of chamois cream ready haha
    we went to the Forest of Dean last weekend, it was horrific. rain, puddles, mud - i'd had enough after 3 hours at a very steady pace. legs were fine so could have carried on in that respect.
    and yes, im hoping we will all do the final lap together.

i am not going for the win by any means, my goal is 10 laps, if i do more then ill be very happy with that. one mate wants to do 15...

i think last year the solo that came first done something like 29 laps, i think we did 29 as a team of 4!

there are some very fit people that take part in it.
  • The Rookie
    First solo last year was 32 laps.....Steve 'Doris' Day - nice guy but an absolute machine on a bike! He may have squeezed an extra lap but had a fork failure which meant he finished one lap with a 'righty' fork. He won the world endurance champs single speed category earlier this year.

The median last year was 12 laps, so that would seem to be a reasonable target!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fudgey
    Indeed it woul. We shall see eh its raining again here, and im not far from Gatcombe...
  • fudgey
    Arse, got the bits i ordered yesterday, not tried the cassette yet but i also lost the brake pins from my old Marzocchi Bomber Z1's.. bought some expensive new ones and they dont fit!

might see if i can make them fit, but time is against me now... oh well, the Zaskar will just go back into hibernation for another 15 years haha
  • fudgey
    Well the weekend didnt quite go plan for me. started off ok on Sat, 3.5 laps the inside of my knee starts to hurt but stayed out and halfway round my 5th lap i couldnt push the pedal as it hurt so much, walking also hurt. so i stopped after that and went to the medical team who just gave me a cold pack to put on it, then went and had a sports massage... my god..

anyway i rested the night and it was still hurting at 7am, my mates all carried and by 8:30 i was bored so fitted some flat pedals, got changed and went back out for another 3 laps. i think the ibuprofen and paracetamol had kicked in by lap 3 and i could have done another one but it was gone 12 by the time i crossed the start/finish...

im a little annoyed that i couldnt hit my target of 10 laps as i know i still had it in me legs wise, could have probably done more too.

i think i have strained something, it still hurts now so will give it a few days and see what happens.

i completed 8 laps and came 97th out of 200 i think, one mate done 11 laps and came 62nd, one 12 laps and came 49th and the other 13 laps for 40th overall.

so not too bad for our first solo effort.
  • fudgey
    Oh Steve Day came in first again on 29 laps! fair play to the man, the conditions were pretty horrible too.
  • The Rookie
    Was following my friend and he had a lot of troubles and only managed 13 laps (36th) - yep, Doris was his usual machine like self and first solo again.