RockShox Monarch RL upgrade?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have a RockShox Monarch RL (100mm) on my Giant Anthem 2015 and am looking to upgrade this with a shock that has a remote lockout.
Any ideas what would fit, would give better performance and have remote lockout?

Comments

• Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Why do you want a remote lockout? A decent upgrade would be a better quality shock rather than having a remote IMO. I put a Fox Float DPS 2016 on my Anthem, really expensive but has made a massive difference to how it rides. Hugs the ground much better, small bump compliance is much better, absorbs bigger hits more competently. The Monarch used to get overwhelmed going fast over moderate rocky ground such as occurs in the Lakes. The new shock means I can go noticeably faster over the same ground with far superior handling and control. As I said it is very expensive but the major difference it has made to how the bike handles was well worth it. Much more so than having a remote.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    +1 for the DPS Evol can.

My previous bike had a Fox factory CTD (2014) can, changed bike which has the Fox Factory DPS Evol and it's far better.
  • Mattcee
    Ok thanks and I'll check the DPS out.
    Is the Monarch XX any good as that has lockout but is older.
  • Mattcee
    What is the difference between the DPS XV/SV/LV versions?
  • Escher303
    oxoman wrote:
    You shouldn't really need a lockout on an Anthem as the maestro suspension system is one of the best around. I personally get on ok with Fox,s ctd but will upgrade at some stage when current ones are knackered and not before.

Agreed. The FOX DPS shock's lockout setting is fully locked out unlike some other shocks which just increases the compression damping and it actually feels a bit weird even on the road. I very rarely put it in full lockout and prefer the middle setting even when climbing on smooth stuff. Just feels weird with it fully locked out and the Anthem's maestro suspension. And that's coming from someone who is normally a roadie who climbs a lot on a very stiff carbon bike. So as I said above, I don't think lockout is an upgrade, remote lockout even less so, whereas better shock and suspension performance is a massive upgrade over the frankly quite poor Monarch.
  • Escher303
    Mattcee wrote:

I have no idea but I've got the SV, measurements are 165 x 38 to fit the 27.5 Anthem
  • Mattcee
    Escher303 wrote:
    Mattcee wrote:

I have no idea but I've got the SV, measurements are 165 x 38 to fit the 27.5 Anthem

Nice on, my next question was going to be what size :)
    Do I need bushings on top too or will buying the shock alone be all I need?
    Not that easy to find these for sale either as CRS/Wiggle etc don't have them.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Mattcee wrote:

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=675

other than the lack of a remote adjustment is there anything you don't like about your current shock? if you can't think of anything I wouldn't waste my money getting a new one.
  • Escher303
    I bought mine from TF Tuned and they sorted the bushings out (although they did send the wrong size to start with). The ones from the Monarch did fit though.
  • Mattcee
    Called Fox and they advised on the bushing (21.84x8) but said one was Giant specific so hope my existing one fits from the Rockshox.
    All ordered and should be here tomorrow.

Thanks all for the advice ;)