fork & rear shock pressure

Elgor
Elgor Posts: 10
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Out of interest, what pressure are people running in there forks & rear shock? iam still new to full suspension and have recently bought a Bird Aeris,atm iam running 125 psi on the rear shock and 75 psi on the forks, does this sound about right for my weight? I weigh around 11.5 stone. thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Depends on your weight, bike geometry and rear suspension linkage rate and fork & shock make and model
    Read the manual and set to the correct sag.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    I'm running my fork at around 140-150 and the shock around 100-120, like Rockmonkey says, lots of different factors to consider when setting them, even the type of riding will change what your going to run, also lots of trial and error, take a pump with you and do some trial and error testing until you find something that feels/performs right for you.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    Got my giant trance's fork at ~75psi and the schock at ~105
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    oxoman wrote:
    Don't make a rookie mistake and setup the pressure to your normal weight then go and jump on the bike with an extra 5kg of hydration pack and helmet, pads etc. Loads of clips on YouTube that actually show what to look at and do when setting up your suspension.

That.

It always feel a bit strange getting dressed up (even down to filling the hydration pack or putting in enough water in bottles to provide the correct weight) for a ride when you're just setting the bike up but it works.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Elgor
    Elgor Posts: 10
    cheers for the advice, by the sounds of it iam not to far off, il take my shock pump out and maybe tweek a bit here and there. thanks again
  • I usually prefer to add 5-15psi more than my weight and suspension platform suggest due to my hefty weight but always leave shock and fork in open mode.

No point in fiddling with lockout bs switches once shocks are dialled.

Would rather higher psi and less low speed dampening than lots of clicks of slow speed comp on forks which ruins small bump sensitivity for me.

If you got suspension it might aswell be doing it's job all nicely and plush!
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    As above. Sit on the bike with your kit on.

Set the sag to 20-25 % for general xc as a rough guide. See how that feels.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.