What bag should I get?

Bote
Bote Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
Hi, I bought my first bike (and this is my first post so go easy on me). My other one was a walmart type one and was free, so its an upgrade at $1000:

It is the Giant Fastroad TSR 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca...2/20463/80568/). I wanted to get the fastest bike I could get at my store that would go on gravel. The cyclocross was $1500 which was way too expensive.

I am commuting 106km (only on some weekends) at perhaps 20-30km/h the whole way, some of it on gravel. I changed the 25 tires to thick 32mm ones. I plan to carry a change of clothes, 2 small books, and some food. Any aerodynamic bag suggestions (backpacks or mounted)?

(Also, is there a lock that I can get such that I can fit a water bottle holder?)

Comments

• jfparis
    jfparis Posts: 22
    Just logged in 120k today. Did have to carry a back pack. Would not recommend that again. Killed my back.
    If you are going for longer distances you should investigate a rack and pannier
  • Bote
    Bote Posts: 3
    jfparis wrote:
    Just logged in 120k today. Did have to carry a back pack. Would not recommend that again. Killed my back.
    If you are going for longer distances you should investigate a rack and pannier

@jfparis, did you have a bike backpack? I am thinking of one of those ones with the 2 extra straps around the body, that come with hydration bags. Do you think one like that (not too big) would be painful?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, a proper outdoor activity pack with waist and chest straps works fine for me, longest ride being 225km and I did a 135km just two weekends back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.