Giant Defy cracked frames

juanlbotha
juanlbotha Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi.

I bought a Giant Defy Advanced 2013 model in 2013 and since then I had 2 replacement frames due to cracks appearing after 13-15 months of riding.

I ride 100-120km per week. I normally suspect cracks when the bike start squeaking. The cracks form between where the seat post goes into the frame and bottom bracket.

I am sure Giant will offer a replacement frame but I am concerned that the new frame will crack again.

Any advice? Do I request another frame design, i.e. TCR or Propel?

Rgrds
Juan

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    As long as Giant continue to offer you a replacement frame for the Defy then I think you will have to accept it. I would imagine that there will come a time when Giant will no longer be able to supply a caliper brake Defy carbon frame in your size, they then might offer you an alternative type frame.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    juanlbotha wrote:
    Hi.
    I am sure Giant will offer a replacement frame but I am concerned that the new frame will crack again.

If you had 3 out 3 cracking, there is no reason to think a 4th one will not crack too... there is clearly a fundamental design/manufacturing problem that goes beyond quality control. I would indeed start looking at getting something else as a replacement
    left the forum March 2023
  • Sounds like you need a Canyon
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mason5697
    mason5697 Posts: 63
    Ate you maybe doing something to cause the cracks.... the chance of it happening to you once... fair enough. But three times with three bikes....? It's quite a common bike and generally has a good reputation does it not?
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    mason5697 wrote:
    Ate you maybe doing something to cause the cracks.... the chance of it happening to you once... fair enough. But three times with three bikes....? It's quite a common bike and generally has a good reputation does it not?

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I also have a 2103 Defy Composite 1 - not quite the same frame but pretty close. I'm over 100kg and touch wood have had nothing go wrong with mine at all.

OP - are you torquing the seat post clamp correctly?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Or running more than minimum insertion on the post

It's a frame that sells a lot. A fundamental defect would be widely reported by now and I don't recall reading anything.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • I've just posted on the forum here about my TCR advanced cracking where the seat post goes into frame, this is my second replacement since May nether bike has been touched by myself, I think this is a bad design with the seat post wedge style clamp.
  • tjm160
    tjm160 Posts: 35
    My first road ride was a 2014 Aluxx Defy 1 and performed flawlessly for 4500km until replaced with another Aluxx, 2016 Defy 1 Disc. This is again performing flawlessly as my wet bike. However, in 2015 I also purchased a Defy Advanced 1 as my best bike. After only 1100km, the frame also developed cracks around the seat post as you describe;

IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg

Giant have however honoured the warranty and I've ended up one of the probable few UK owners of the Germany colour scheme frame. The LBS are just swapping the rest of the bits over:

2016_Giant_Defy_Advanced_1Germany.jpg

Top marks to Giant for their service.
    Tim
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I have a friend that has cracked a few Giant frames in his time, funnily enough we are almost the same height, he is heavier but not stupidly so. To make matters worse his frames were aluminum and all cracked at the same place tjm160's carbon one.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Something I noticed on my defy composite today was that the walls of the wider part of the seat tube seem to have some flex to them. Noticed what looked like a dent first, gave it a little press and hey presto. Pretty sure its engineered in for ride quality purposes and its nothing to worry about but has anyone else spotted this?

(By "wider part" I mean the bit that's supposed be more aerodynamically shaped - I think - with the flat section that the vector seat post slots into)