Should I buy a hardtail?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited June 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm into the more xc rides (More flat/climbs than downhill) with some of it being tarmac and right now I have a Giant Anthem (650B) which I've upgraded and got it under 11kg. Its a nice ride now but I'm hankering for a hardtail (possibly carbon).

With my Giant being relatively light (for a full susser at least without spending a fortune) and having only a 100mm of travel, would there be much benefit in having a HT to go with the Anthem?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'd say probably not but it's another bike so go for it :-)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I prefer hardtails as you feel the trail more, rather than fs which is like riding round on a comfy armchair. It is really personal preference and where you ride. I don't do full on downhill, ride on really rough terrain or spend much time in trail centres but mainly do xc riding in hilly more remote places.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    N + 1. Always.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I swapped from a Hardtail to an FS, (the Litespeed, link in my sig) it's very similar to the Anthem in terms of travel, geo and weight (a bit lighter) but more basic suspension, it really gives nothing away to a hardtail (when first built it was all the finishing kit just swapped over) and gives away less than half a kilo in weight, but I can ride harder for longer due to the help from the rear suspension, I certainly wouldn't go back to an HT as my go to bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    If you have got a FS to under 11kg, you will probably sound that you will be close to 9kg on a HT with similar spec. I have such a beast: a Scott Scale 910 with some upgrades, and it really flies.
    From the type of cycling you are doing I can't see the need for the added weight of a FS. Also easier to clean and maintain too as well as being cheaper to upgrade.
  • Mattcee
    I've seen a really nice Scott Scale 700 Premium 2015 with a big discount thats tempting me.
    Has full XTR kit although is 22 gears and not single front ring that I'm used to which could be a deal breaker.
    Would a new wide range 11 speed cassette and a narrow wide front ring work with the existing XTR derailleur?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends how wide you want to go - the XTR fitted is a fairly decent range already at 11-40 - maybe not as much as some of SRAMs latest offerings or even the new XT, but quite possibly enough on a very light hardtail. Shimano quote a 40t max sprocket on some of their pages, however, this is when using with a triple chainset (as not to exceed chain wrap capacity on a standard triple), but a look at their product info page shows it can accept up to 46t with a single ring:

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/1 ... Derailleur
  • Mattcee
    Ok cheers, I'd want a 42 tooth on the cassette as there's a few steepish climbs on my local route.
    I get by perfectly on that set up now in the giant with shimano mx8000.

Just hate the thought of spending a big chunk of cash on a new bike with XTR then removing bits of it.

Maybe duel front rings won't be so bad tho and I'll get a little more range/closer ratios than single ring 11 speed?

Decisions decisions...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    GlynRS2 wrote:
    If you have got a FS to under 11kg, you will probably sound that you will be close to 9kg on a HT with similar spec.
    You are making an extreme and unrealistic comparison if you think an FS frame is 2Kg more than a hardtail, my 2006 FS frame is 2.35Kg with shock (a similar and decent quality aluminium frame is about 1.75Kg), so tell me where I can get a hardtail frame for 350g please.....many XC FS frames are well under 3Kg (my sons is 2.7Kg with shock, again 2006 vintage) while a decent carbin hardtail frame will be circa 1250g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Mattcee wrote:
    Ok cheers, I'd want a 42 tooth on the cassette as there's a few steepish climbs on my local route.
    I get by perfectly on that set up now in the giant with shimano mx8000.

Depends what you have on your crankset, for granny I have a 26 x 40 (2x11 speed) and it's more than enough, a 42 would make little difference on my Cube.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I recently sold my 26" Anthem and bought a Boardman Pro 29er to replace it. I did like the extra traction that full suspension offered but for my riding which is a mostly a
    mix of off road bridle paths / single track linked with road sections I've gained more from the extra rolling speed of 29" wheels than I've last from having suspension.
    The Anthem was 24 lbs and the Boardman is circa 26 lbs but for my riding but I don't feel I've sacrificed anything in speed. If anything the boardman is more sure footed and confidence inspiring due to its slacker geometry and 120mm forks, and faster.
    My main reasons for change were simplicity , lack of bushing/bearing/shock maintenance plus I like the connected feel of a hard tail.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo