Colnago Master LX10

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited June 2016 in Your road bikes
Bit cheeky as I haven't even received the frame yet but...looking for advice on what kit to team with this frame:
viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13066017

I don't want to go 'full classic' with it so am set on Campag Record Carbon (10 speed I guess).

I have Mavic R-Sys Premiums which would go nicely but I guess not compatible?

Any suggestions on wheels and bars?

Comments

• term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Why would the wheels not be compatible? I like the look of a more classic frame with tasteful modern kit. The one thing that ruins the look for me though is a great fat stem and too many spacers under it. So if you can find a slimmer stem, and your fit doesn't require too many spacers, then you'll have a thing of beauty and a joy to ride. Lovely frame. My Master is about 20 years older than your frame, but still one of my favourite bikes to ride.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The wheels would be compatible - that frameset is only a few years old and so will have the same wheel OLD as any other modern frame (130mm OLD rear wheels came in during the 90s).

With that said, I feel it'd be rather distasteful having all that carbon (group and wheels) on a steel frameset.

Although hell, given it has a carbon fork on it, do what you like.

For me though, the point of having a colnago master would be to have a bike that rides like those that were ridden to glory all those years ago.

Pretty much the thoughts of this guy actually:
    http://www.cyclist.co.uk/colnago/master ... ght-review
  • bartman100
    interesting points thanks.

Re: wheels, I meant not compatible with Campag Record groupset, not the frame itself. I've never had Campag so I'm not sure. Wheels are R-sys premium from circa 2008/9.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Ah yes, fair point, well, reputedly the Mavic 10 speed freehubs are wide enough that they can accomodate 11 speed cassettes, and shimano/sram 11 speed cassettes work interchangeably with campag 11 speed so that is an option for you if you went for an 11 speed Campag group.

Otherwise you'd want to get the freehub replaced with Mavic's campagnolo equivalent, which any reasonably competent LBS should be able to do for you.

I might be telling you something you already know, but before using those wheels you should also check that they aren't subject to the recall:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2009/01/ ... call_86435
  • bartman100
    That's interesting as I've been using the R-Sys wheels for about 3 years and I only became aware of the recall yesterday! I bought them second hand so will have to find out if I'm entitled to a replacement.

Thanks for the advice on the freehub - will call a few LBS's to check.

Now just need to find suitable stem and bars!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would say go for the 5 arm crankset as I am not a fan of the 4 arm campag offering.

Athena silver with polished hubs and gun metal rums and tan sidewalls is a bit cliché but does look the business.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbon Record and big phat deep rims. It'll look freakin' amazing.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bartman100
    Carbon Record and big phat deep rims. It'll look freakin' amazing.

Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.
    ok ok ok ok ok ok!!!

But, 10 speed or 11 speed?

And...I rather fancied some Campag Shamal wheels. Having deep rims would mean I'd have to go fast all the time and I'm too fat for that.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'd be tempted to ditch the Mavics and go for some retro-looking handbuilts, These from Malcolm at Cyclecinic would fit the bill and look the business

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 4-wheelset

Classic look but with 23mm wide rims so you can run bigger tyres if you fancy it ( depending on frame clearance of course)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    11 speed - why spend all that money and not go for the latest.

Ignore that stuff above - I'm sure they are very nice but it won't look as nice as phat carbons.

Do it do it do it buy them buy them buy them do it.

It'll look unbelievably pukka lush. Do it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.