Bought a saris bone rack

core00
core00 Posts: 169
edited July 2016 in MTB general
So found saris 2nd hand in very good condition for a cheap price, question how can I make the rear of the bike not stick out? Or that's always gonna be a case?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    In what way does the rear of the bike stick out?
  • core00

Just the rear wheel is sticking out as i can see it on my driver side wing mirror unlike the fromt wheel i can't see it on my passenger side wing mirror.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    core00 wrote:

Just the rear wheel is sticking out as i can see it on my driver side wing mirror unlike the fromt wheel i can't see it on my passenger side wing mirror.

Is this about cars? Adjust the rack...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • core00
    Kickaxe wrote:
    core00 wrote:

Is this about cars? Adjust the rack...

Yeah I've been fiddling with the rack arms and its the same, I don't think not putting the rack in the middle of the booth is good. Just afraid that it might hit a car when driving in a tight space say double parked car, tight car park or got hit by another car.
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    This was one of the reasons I didn't like my Saris Bones, that plus the wheel spinning when driving plus the rack bobbing up and down when driving.... Ended up eBaying it and getting a Thule roof system, it's great, I couldn't go back to a rear carrier!
  • core00
    Rookie1986 wrote:
    This was one of the reasons I didn't like my Saris Bones, that plus the wheel spinning when driving plus the rack bobbing up and down when driving.... Ended up eBaying it and getting a Thule roof system, it's great, I couldn't go back to a rear carrier!

took it for a drive just a short one and the wheels didn't spin at all as I put bungee cords, its just that rear wheel is hanging out and can clearly see it on the driving wing mirror :/.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Then turn the bike to face the other way.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • core00
    FishFish wrote:
    Then turn the bike to face the other way.

Yep did that and still the same. I have a bizango and the frame isn't like straight it has a dip so maybe that's why, maybe a crossbar will fix it? :/
  • rockmonkeysc
    Take thr wheels off and put them in the boot.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Just buy wider car....
  • rockmonkeysc
    Or some roof bars.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I have the Saris Bones 2 and need to hang my bike upside down for it to fit but that works perfectly well. Maybe try that but taking the wheel off is probably the best solution.
    Many happy trails!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    timpop wrote:
    I have the Saris Bones 2 and need to hang my bike upside down for it to fit but that works perfectly well. Maybe try that but taking the wheel off is probably the best solution.

Which tube do you strap it to , to hang the bike upside down??????. I would suggest just mounting it as high up as possible, Its not as wide as you think looking in the mirrors. I ve got an XL Anthem 29er on mine and the over hang is minimal.