Fulcrum 5 LG or Fulcrum Quattro LG

morbiddk
morbiddk Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
I have a 2014 Cannandale Synapse and am looking to change out the Maddux RS 3.0's that came on it with something a bit nicer but on the budget side. I've got it narrowed down to the Fulcrum Racing 5 LG or the Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG. Only real differences I can tell between them is rim height differs with the Quattro at 35mm front/rear vs the 5 at 24.5mm/27.5mm front/rear and the Quattro has this anti-rotation system that is supposed to make it so the spokes never lose their initial tension. I am looking for some feedback from the masses on this as it looks like sales currently have these within $1 of each other price wise.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Quattros have a very slight (and I mean VERY slight) aero advantage but that comes at the cost of a very small weight penalty. Really though, if you have an aesthetic preference then go with that or if you still can't decide either way then go with the 5s if you live in a hilly area, or vice versa.

Probably worth using the search tool in the Road Buying Section if you want to fret some more. Might be also worth checking frame clearance, particularly if you run or want to run 25s. Brakes will need adjusting which ever you plump for.
  • Unamed2.0
    Unamed2.0 Posts: 41
    For what it is worth, I bought some Quattros for my CAAD8, replacing the original Maddux ones. They are ace. I picked those ahead of the Fulcrum 5s as I am a heavier rider and read somewhere that the Quattros were stiffer (I experienced a bit of brake rub with the previous wheels when out of the saddle).

I suspect you'll enjoy either of them. I popped some 25mm GP4000s II on them too, to take advantage of the wider rim. I imagine this contributed to the increased enjoyment.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    If it were me - I'd likely go quattros as I think they look better.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Me too (as an owner of the 5 LGs!)
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I switched from Quattros to 5LGs. I didn't like the Quattros in strong crosswinds. The 5LGs have been fine.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Head vs Heart
    5's vs quattros
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    I had the same choice recently, I plumped for quattros. No regrets. Had one ride in strong wind, felt a bit of push in the crosswind but didn't seem unmanageable. But maybe that's because I'm 84kg
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    I also have the Quattro's and I have trouble on crosswinds probably because I am 65kg. I don't know how they compare with the 5's on wind situations but the aero advantage should only be noticeable at speeds over 35km/h I suppose so it's not a selling point. I've done 6000km on them and they are still true even though there are a lot of bumps and wholes here.
  • shaun668
    shaun668 Posts: 52
    I got a set of Quattro's on Friday, only done 2 rides on them but have made a huge difference to my bike which is a Trek Emonda S5.
    I went for Michelin pro 4 tyres at 25mm wide, I had no problem fitting them, no adjustments needed. They feel more responsive than my old stock wheels and are more comfortable too, a lot of that could be due to the wider tyres... they look good too.
    I'm not worried about crosswinds as being 92kg it would take a lot to blow me off my bike.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I have two sets of quattros, love them for the price. I'm going to sell a set now as I'm now down a frame but wouldn't hesitate recommended them!
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    I've just got a set of quattros as training wheels to replace a shagged set of racing 3s I'm really impressed with them and destickered they look better than the 5s
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    All I can say is that I have a set of 5LGs on my Synapse and am very pleased with them. For the sort of riding that I do, I have never found the need to buy anything 'higher' and personally don't think that they look any better or worse than the Quattros. Let's face it, nobody is going to say 'phwoar' when they see either on a bike out in the wild.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)